586,113 active members*
3,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 16 of 17 614151617
    Thanks.

They did come out quite well. I may have to make an A frame and another storefront sign.

Jason

Question. Obviously you have the skills to, but why haven't you upgraded your JGRO to a supported rail build? Even JGRO upgraded his not long after completing this build.

Daddy's Hands in solid surface.

I am in the process upgrading. The frame is basically completed so in a few months I should be up and running.
    Today I am lining up the 5 start lead screws to mount with the 2 bolt flange bearings.

Jason

Attachment 185310

Sign size: each side is 24 inches x 13 inches

This sign has aluminum plate screwed to the back for support. Each piece is about 15 inches long by 2 inches wide.
    This sign spends the entire day in the sun, so without support it will bend.

Jason

T nuts and bolts

what size "t" nuts did you use and also the bolts? and did you drill the holes with the cnc or drill?

thanks

Marti, are you referring to a particular post in the thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Marsha View Post
    Marti, are you referring to a particular post in the thread?
    I saw the pic of your spoil board that had the T nuts and was wondering what size you used and the size of the bolts. And I was wondering how you did the holes and when you replace the board, will you remove the bolts and reuse them? So far I think this would be the best option for me. BTW, really nice signs you've made.

thanks

I have not used the T nuts in a long time as they are covered. The size was the 1/4" - 20 bolt size. You can use the cnc to drill the holes which will make it easy for future replacements.

Jason

I have not used the T nuts in a long time as they are covered. The size was the 1/4" - 20 bolt size. You can use the cnc to drill the holes which will make it easy for future replacements.

Jason
    thanks. If you're not using the t-nuts, what are you using to hold down your work piece? I thought about trying to use a t-slot bit to cut the board, but me and the router don't get along too well I guess one reason is, I've never seen anybody first hand try to route trim on a router table.

I either clamp the material on the perimeter or I stick it down with carpet tape.

You can build a T slot table using only a table saw. Cut strips lets say 2 inches wide for the bottom and cut strips 2 2/4 inches wide for the top. Center the 2 3/4" strips on top of the 2" strips securing with screws then repeat the process leaving enough space between the upper strips for the bolt shaft to slide through.

Jason

Just finished cutting an 8 foot sign on the JGRO. Will peel the masking later and finish sand.

Jason
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0685.jpg   DSCN0686.jpg  

I either clamp the material on the perimeter or I stick it down with carpet tape.

You can build a T slot table using only a table saw. Cut strips lets say 2 inches wide for the bottom and cut strips 2 2/4 inches wide for the top. Center the 2 3/4" strips on top of the 2" strips securing with screws then repeat the process leaving enough space between the upper strips for the bolt shaft to slide through.

Jason
    thanks. I had initially thought about doing that, but wasn't sure if it would give enough support. But that was before I decided to use the 2x4 braces and was just going to rely upon a flat top to make it rigid. And I do love 'jigs' - a girl's best friend, so I think that's what I'll do and it'll be cheaper too. How does the carpet tape work and how is it different than double-sided tape?

I'm trying to figure out how to make my CNC do everything! ... cut wood, cut upholstery fabric and foam, and cut glass. For cutting fabric or glass I could just use a board underneath, so that wouldn't be a problem. Now if I can just find the wheel.

Carpet tape is flat double sided tape. Its cheaper (at least where I live) and you can get sizes that are quite wide maybe 2 inches.

Jason

Carpet tape is flat double sided tape. Its cheaper (at least where I live) and you can get sizes that are quite wide maybe 2 inches.

Jason
    THANKS ... cheaper is always better

Do you have any pictures of your machine and/or work. It sounds interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by gmfoster View Post
    Do you have any pictures of your machine and/or work. It sounds interesting..

Most of the work I am allowed to show is in this thread. The machine is the standard JGRO and pics are early in the thread.
    I should be posting some other work soon as I have decent sized pieces of solid surface.

Jason

Attachment 185724 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	185726

The 8 foot sign all cleaned up.
    Delivering the sign today will take pics after owner installs.

Jason

Most of the work I am allowed to show is in this thread. The machine is the standard JGRO and pics are early in the thread.
    I should be posting some other work soon as I have decent sized pieces of solid surface.

Jason
    Jason
    I have followed your thread since the beginning sorry I was to vague. I was referring to Marti that even cuts glass with her machine...
    Yes Jason you have produced more on your JGRO than many have with multi thousand dollar machines.
    Garry

Yes Jason you have produced more on your JGRO than many have with multi thousand dollar machines.
    It has been a very impressive run.

Page 16 of 17 614151617