586,075 active members*
3,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > Surface over a surface problem

Surface over a surface problem

If I have a surface with a pocket and some holes and I create another surface over it to hide them when doing surface milling, why does it still pick up the features under the surface even if I raise it up .001" Any ideas anybody?

first, make sure they are not checked in the part surfaces

Thanks for the response dcscalp, I tried with it checked and not checked. it still wants to pick the pocket up under my created surface. I fixed it by slanting the part so that surface was parallel to the table that way I wouldn't have to surface mill it.

On the same part though, I'm milling the rest of it that's at an angle. I'm roughing with a 4 inch facemill. That's how big the part is. But instead of staying on the surfaced I've chosen, it wants to go around the side of the part where it would be cutting a lot of air. Any way around this?

this could get involved. what surface milling feature are you using? on the edges tab, do you have "don't roll over edges checked? on stock tab are you checking use "part surface dimension"? fill in some blanks---

I'm using z level roughing, So I dont get the roll over edge option. And I've tried to use part surface, stock and the boundary options.

rather than creating a new surface that way, i go to surface wizard- one surface- untrim surface and "fill in" holes and pocket- then set the z-end if necessary. it's hard without "seeing" the file- can you attach it?

Send me your E-mail through p.m and I'll Email it to you. Thanks.