586,033 active members*
3,518 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie needs basic help

Hi guys, I have a nice ballscrew with a thread pitch of 2mm. Is this too small a pitch for an axis on a cnc machine? I will be machining stainless steel at moderate speeds.

Also, can anyone point me toward a reasonably priced motion controller & driver for stepper motors?

Quote Originally Posted by PowermetalX View Post
    Hi guys, I have a nice ballscrew with a thread pitch of 2mm. Is this too small a pitch for an axis on a cnc machine? I will be machining stainless steel at moderate speeds.

Also, can anyone point me toward a reasonably priced motion controller & driver for stepper motors?
    Please give more details about the max volatage, output current,and other features.

Quote Originally Posted by PowermetalX View Post

[That seems fine for a metal-cutting machine. You won't get a whole lot of speed out of it if you use steppers, but they'll give you good mechanical advantage.]

[Many of the folks here go for the G-540 from Geckodrives G540 4-Axis Motor Control It integrates 4 drives with its own breakout board, and is pretty simple to set up. Geckodrives is also selling stepper motors now, so you can get most of what you need from one place. This takes a power supply of up to 50VDC and is intended for 23-frame steppers; if you need more power, they've got other drives that go higher, but you'd have to supply your own breakout board.]

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software