586,596 active members*
3,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > I'm missing something.

I'm missing something.

Hi, I'm trying to evaluate Cambam before purchase and am having problems getting gong. When I load a .stl (generated in 123D) I get a blank screen even if I complete the view/fit to window function. I also loaded the file from this post

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cambam...bothering.html

with same result. I'm sure I'm just skipping a step but I get the same result when attempting to tutorials. Is it possible my evaluation is over, I loaded it a while ago and didn't have time to play.

Long term I'm trying to determine if I want to go with CamBam or Meshcam. Thanks in advance for any help.

I would suggest for you to ask your question here

Guarantee, somebody will help you..
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

Quote Originally Posted by moto52000 View Post
    Long term I'm trying to determine if I want to go with CamBam or Meshcam. Thanks in advance for any help.
    I am a clueless nood, so this is probably a stupid question...
    but I will ask it anyway...
    I too am looking at Meshcam Vs CamBam. but the more I look, the less it seems like an apple vs apple comparison...
    actually it doesn't even seem like apples vs oranges...
    maybe apples vs car or something might be a better way to describe it?

it seems to my untrained eye at least that they are two completely separate tools that do thing so differently/fit different needs that I should actually end up with both...

and that seems a bit odd, so obviously my logic must be flawed... can someone point out where my logic went so horribly wrong?:drowning:

SomeWhatLost - I came to the same conclusion. CamBam is great for 2D+, whereas MeshCAM looks to more of a 3D tool. If you can afford both I would go that way. Software is tough on a hobbyist budget!

Quote Originally Posted by CbrViking View Post
    SomeWhatLost - I came to the same conclusion. CamBam is great for 2D+, whereas MeshCAM looks to more of a 3D tool. If you can afford both I would go that way. Software is tough on a hobbyist budget!
    Your initial impression is incorrect. Cam Bam does 3D and quite nicely. Plus it has many many other features, such as 3D back face milling.

Suggest you both have another go at previewing Cam Bam.

When I loaded a file into CamBAM that had surfaces, it didn't pick up all of them. It's probably my fault because I am so new to 3D and I probably didn't have all the surfaces stitched together correctly, but MeshCAM seems more forgiving. I will definitely try again in CamBAM. Buying only one S/W tool is the way to go.

EDIT: I just loaded a surface into CamCAM that is just a rectangle, arched. It is a guitar fingerboard surface. CamBAM generated cut lines for the BACK of the surface, not the top, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

zool is right.

Download the latest version of CamBam (0.9.8L rc3 at the moment).

You will not find better value for your money and I'm quite sure CamBam will be able to fulfil 90% of your 3d needs, which includes being able to cut a mould from the original positive solid, amongst many other options such as restricting the 3d cut to a 2d boundary.

There is plenty of help at the CamBam website too.

Martin.

Post to CAM BAM for a quick answer

When I loaded a file into CamBAM that had surfaces, it didn't pick up all of them. It's probably my fault because I am so new to 3D and I probably didn't have all the surfaces stitched together correctly, but MeshCAM seems more forgiving. I will definitely try again in CamBAM. Buying only one S/W tool is the way to go.

EDIT: I just loaded a surface into CamCAM that is just a rectangle, arched. It is a guitar fingerboard surface. CamBAM generated cut lines for the BACK of the surface, not the top, and I can't figure out how to fix it.
    First, if you post a STL file or the CB file it is easier to help you.

Second, if you post to the forum on the Cam Bam site you will get VERY VERY specific solutions to a problem, plus, more often than not, an explanation of how the feature works and its relationship to other features.

CNC Zone is a great place for answers and insights, however the Cam Bam site forum focuses on Cam Bam and there are some astonishingly competent people who contribute there. I started with Cam Bam about 6-weeks ago and was making every error known in the universe. With the help I received after only a couple weeks I had a good grasp of how Cam Bam works, that is, planning how to use it not just punching in numbers.

Ok, here's an STL file of an arched surface that varies from 9 1/2" radius to 12" radius. CamBAM seems to want to cut the back surface, whether I check that box or not. That is if I did the attach correctly...
    Attached Files Attached Files

The orientation of the surface normals of the object are opposite of what they should be, which is why Cam Bam is machining the back; its doing exactly what it is suppose to. I know this VERY well as it was one of the processes in CAD that can really drive you mad in CAM.

Read this to get a good grasp on "normals": CSA Newsletter, Winter '01: A Subtle CAD Problem -- The Surface Normal

REMEMBER THIS: When an object is Selected in Cam Bam, it turns red.

So do the following to solve your dilemma:

1. In your CAD program, reorient the normals to the top of the object [the convex surface].

2. In Cam Bam, Edit> Align Objects and enter these settings: X to Left with a zero value [0 in the white box at the bottom of each axes column]; Y to Bottom, with a zero value; Z to Upper with a zero value. This will align the object along the X and Y axes, and will make the surface of the object the Stock Surface.

Also:

1. Use the Advanced settings in the Object Property Window [the one on the bottom on the left] to enter the parameters of the Tool Path.

See User Interface in the Help screen.

2. Set Boundary Method to Shape Outline [the default]

3. Set Boundry Margin to -0.15. That will keep the cutter on the surface and so it does not try to cut the edges.

Read this for a full explanation by Andy, the inventor of Cam Bam. Inefficient and unexpected moves during machining 3D profile

And finally, I am not a genius, I made everyone of these mistakes, and more than once too!!

One last suggestion: Go to the Cam Bam Forum and search STL and 3D. That is how I began solving my problems when I switched from 2D/2.5D to 3D.

Give this a go and if you still have problems, post again.

Ok, that sounds right. How do I do that in Rhino, though? I generated the surface using the two-rail method, so it picked the orientation.

I got it to work, but in a different way. I created a part. I wanted to just machine a surface, but I had to make a part. Then, in CamCAm I had to give it a value for the Target Depth. I assumed it would pick that up from the model.

Ok, that sounds right. How do I do that in Rhino, though? I generated the surface using the two-rail method, so it picked the orientation.
    I have no knowledge of Rhino, other than hearing accolades of its versatility. I use Blender and 3D MAX,and SketchUp and Alibre.

I suggest a search in the Help section of Rhino, or a search in the user's forum.

Search for "surface normals" or "normals", maybe something like, "reorienting normals", or "surface mesh orientation"

Also: Much time can be saved by working through the tutorials on Cam Bam; simultaneously frustration will diminish precipitously. Guaranteed!!!

Never Assume

I got it to work, but in a different way. I created a part. I wanted to just machine a surface, but I had to make a part. Then, in CamCAm I had to give it a value for the Target Depth. I assumed it would pick that up from the model.
    What gets drawn in a CAD program and the parameters within those vectors, cannot all be transferred to a CAM program. It is best to not make assumption about what any CAM or controller program does. CAM and CNC controller programs take more time and effort to comprehend their intricacies than what is need in CAD programs.

Again, take the time to read and comprehend the Cam Bam instructions and help files, and take the time to watch, replicate and comprehend what is in the Cam Bam tutorials.