586,102 active members*
3,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 15 12311
    Gentlemen,

I got the 500 watt Sanyo Denke motor working very nicely this afternoon. After discussing it with Vladimir last night on the phone, he pressed me to check the phasing again with the encoder disconnected like the Rutex.com R9x setup and tune document that has a link in the R992H.pdf.

If I had followed his detailed instructions precisely, I would have had better success the other two times I set out to phase the commutator. His documentation is very good.

I did learn another thing today, however. On an ordinary three phase motor you can change the direction by switching any two wires of the three phase hook up. In a brushless motor you switch the encoder wires (switch the A's for the B's) to change the direction. Switching the motor power wires does not work. It took me too long to figure this out.

So...I would say that anyone that is interested in a real bargain brushless motor...go for it! I will try the 1000 watt one on Friday after I receive my braking resistors from Digi-key. It must have them to obsorb the BEMF the motor generates when the motor is stopped.

I'm sorry for the delay and any confusion I may have caused. As I said, my experience with brushless motors is limited. I'm glad that Vladimir is so knowledgable about motors.

On the bright side, I can and will report exactly how to hook up these motors so that they come up and run for you the first time.

These instructions are for the R992H. The info should be directly transferrable to the R2030's that I expect to have on hand around the first week of November.

Motor power wires:

Signal name:

X (phase 1) Red
    Y (phase 2) Blue
    Z (phase 3) White

Commutator:

S1 Blue with black stripe
    S2 Red with black stripe
    S3 Green with black stripe

Encoder wires:

Channel A: Blue

Channel A/: Brown

Channel B: Purple

Channel B/: Green

The quick tune I did gave me these PID values:

kp 376
    ki 15
    kd 244

The kpid values will probably not transfer over. Each machine will have its own pid values.

Tom Eldredge
    Rutex LLC
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That's really good news Tom. I bought 6 of the 1000W motors and I hope that when you get yours, everything will work okay. I look forward to your testing. I am planing to order the new Rutex drive for my " beast of the beast" router.

Time for a shopping spree!

Man style!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Thank you!

I'm deeply impressed and gratefull for all the effort and steady stream of communication that has gone into figuring out these motors! Thank you to all of you who shared your experimental results.

And a BIG thank-you to Rutex!

-D

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    Time for a shopping spree!

Man style!
    Much to my wife's disappointment, my motors will be delivered today.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I am thinking of getting some of these motors and was wondering what the encoder resolution is. Can anyone help.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2000cpr.

Darek

where did you buy the motors?

I have a few coming too. You can't go wrong at 40.00. The rutex forum sure became active when these motors were found.
    D. Paulson

$40 per motor? What`s wrong with these motors?

You need $200 drives to run them.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

considering the motors new retail at 1295.00 I would consider a 200.00 dollar drive not to much of an inconvienieance!

:cheers:
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor
    considering the motors new retail at 1295.00 I would consider a 200.00 dollar drive not to much of an inconvienieance!

:cheers:

:cheers: I`m in...
    Thanks everyone!

EDIT: Google snapshot of SurplusCenter.Com dated 10.03.2005 shows 372 Sanyo Denki 1000w P5 motors in stock. 10 days later number is down to 263
    Ehem.. Where`s my credit card...

No sure I Am looking at the right motors? The motors are AC and the Rutex drives mentioned are DC. Once again I am confused.

Ok, I searched and found the other thread that the Rutex DC drive will run these AC servos. Very interesting.......

Hi,
    I am new here. I also plan to buy that surplus motor 400 watt Denki P5 after reading that rutex driver will work with this kind of motor. Is this size of motor good enough to retrofit knee mill to CNC, if anyone of you have experience with this size of motor, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by asuratman
    ... I also plan to buy that surplus motor 400 watt Denki P5 after reading that rutex driver will work with this kind of motor. Is this size of motor good enough to retrofit knee mill to CNC...
    This motor is rated (according to the website) at 3.6N-m stall torque or 510oz-in. With gearing down, it should be able to move a knee mill pretty well, but maybe slower than you expect if you gear it down. Also keep in mind these motors are 2000 line encoders, meaning (from what I understand) 8000 pulses per revolution. So to get top RPM out of them

However, why not order the 1kw motor? It runs off of the same Rutex amplifier, and is only $2 more! ($39.95 vs. $37.95). And it has a stall torque rating of 8.8N-m (1250 oz-in), so will have more power available when you need it. Unless space is an issue, I'd go with the larger servos.

Anyone else have any reason not to go with the larger servos?

At the Burdon Surplus Center in Nebraska, they are selling brand new Sanyo Denke motors. If you do a search on Sanyo the whole list will display.

They may be listed as AC motors but DC brushless and Ac are sometimes the same. In this case they are.

In my opinion, It is a deal that one can not pass up if he is ever thinking of building a cnc machine.

The motor, drive, encoder, and braking resistors together are far less than I pay for brush motors with encoders of smaller size (not including the drives).

With the 2030 drives I believe you will be able to set the step multiplier to any whole number you want to, so the resolution range is wide. The step multiplier is set during tuning with the windows program, no dip switches.

Tom Eldredge
    Rutex LLC

What size of these servos would I use on a 2x3' gantry? Would the 100w be fine?
    3-400 watt better?

Thanks

Page 1 of 15 12311