586,111 active members*
3,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Workholding-Have a bunch of small parts-how to hold down using vacuum?

Workholding-Have a bunch of small parts-how to hold down using vacuum?

I have a bunch of small parts (.625x2.75x.063" thick) that have holes in them and I need to hold them down. There is only about 1/16 of area that I can use for vacuum on each side of the holes. So o-ring or other type of channel gasketing is out of the question. So I need some way that I can vacuum hold these down to a fixture plate (Dedicated fixture) and am lost for ideas. Both cuts (the circles and the profile of the part) are cut on the outside of the shape. In other words there's a 1/16" tool path around each 0.195"d circle and there isn't much left to gasket.

I tried placing the part right on the chambered PVC dedicated fixture board (no gasket) and it won't even think about holding down (leaks right past the workpiece). So I need some sort of gasket sheet maybe or some other form of seal I can use.

Any help would be appreciated!

I have a 1HP vac pump that works good for dedicated part holding in the larger parts I've cut so far. This one has me baffled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pickup Parts.jpg  

Vacuum's great for big flat parts

But it's not good for everything. These might be better held using a threaded fixturing plate. Predrill a couple of holes, and use screws through them to hold the parts down to the plate. You can do the rest of the holes and the profiling as before. You can probably hold the sub-plate down with vacuum, if it only has two holes in it.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

What's the material you're cutting the parts out of?