586,051 active members*
3,748 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

perske spindle repair

Im in the progress of swapping bearings on my perske spindle on multicam MT22.
    They use SKF bearings standard with double rubber seals. I was thinking of possibly swapping them for ceramic bearings but then i started thinking about the Z-zero tool possibly not working if i do so (aluminium block connected to pendant, are those ceramic bearings conductive at all i need them to be for the tool to work.

Frode

You are correct in your feeling that the ceramic bearings will not conduct, well done spotting the danger before you purchased!
    Jason
    www.centerline-inc.com

found a solution to this

Hi !

Think i found a solution after all then, ill use ceramic bearing for the main bearing (the one closest to the tool) but ill buy a high quality steel bearing for the support bearing that should give me what i need. after all its the big bearing that takes most of the load.

a quick work around for ceramic bearings that I am using,
    I attached a wire with an alligator clip on one end to a mounting screw on the z assembly
    when I want to set the tool length, I clip to the bit, place the block and set the 0
    pretty simple until I find something better

Smile breaking in the spindle

any ideas about method of breaking new spindle bearings, i belive its not a good idea to put it to work before running it a while first ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frode1 View Post
    any ideas about method of breaking new spindle bearings, i belive its not a good idea to put it to work before running it a while first ?
    You're correct, we've published our spindle break-in procedure document (deals with storage as well) and an article on what happens during spindle break-in for you to check out.

To summarize those 2 documents and answer your question directly yes, new spindle bearings need a break-in (or run-in) procedure run before running in full production. The short of it: start the spindle at 10% speed and monitor temperature at the bearing housings, if at any time temperature exceeds 55-60C (131-140F) shut it down and let it cool to room temperature. Barring any temperature related cool down periods you should increase the speed at 10% increments and monitor the temperature until the spindle's maximum RPM is reached
    Jason
    www.centerline-inc.com

Thanx Jason

Good instructions, Thanx !

Glad to help! Best of luck with your refurbished spindle
    Jason
    www.centerline-inc.com