586,103 active members*
2,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

RFQ Hollowbody guitar

I would like to get a PRS hollowbody style cutout done by someone here one the forum. I think that a bookmatched back that has been glued to the center block(to become sides) that is routed at the same time like the hollowbody II. The top is a seperate bookmatched and glued set. I would like to have the sides routed to accomidate two 1/4" jacks, and one hole for a 13pin midi. The same two position humbucker routes will be needed. The pickups will be active so there will be an additional 1/8" hole in the sides to accomidate power from the outside. The knob routed holes needed will be 2 for tone, one 3 way selector for the humb's, one coil tap, one more for volume(stacked pot for midi volume and master volume). I am planning on buying a prs 24 fret neck from ed roman guitars, so the standard prs neck joints would be needed. I will buy the wood, and glue the bookmatched sets and back to the center if glueing is needed before sending. Here are some pics of the body shaping that I am interested in.

I would love to have a crack at it for you, however I live in Oz.
    I am planning to make a guitar real soon. i dont suppose you would be interested in posting your DXF drawlings

I would be interested, however I am in Canada if that is not a problem.

Would this be "one of" job? Reason I am asking is that a hollow body guitar like a PRS needs a detailed 3D model, since all the cavities are rounded and follow the carving on the front. That is the main chunk of the work, creating a model. It would probably cost much more than actual CNC work once the model is done. Would this involve also carving of the front?

It would be easier to spread the cost if you are planning to make multiple copies. Since I am in Ontario, Canad there would be also the shipping cost back and forth.

Here is an example of the guitar, strat type that I made on my CNC. This involved more 2 1/2 D type of the model, which is easier. Only the belly cavity and the head rest are simple 3D surfaces.

Attached are some pictures of the guitar.

Regards,
    Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails strat01.jpg   strat02.jpg   strat03.jpg   strat04.jpg  

This is a template done by Andrew McWhirter- ftp://www.mimf.com/pub/prs_template.zip It seems to be just the shape for the sides, not the curvature of the top and back. I would eventually like to make something like the Paul Languedoc guitar used by Trey Anastasio(http://www.trey.com/treysrig/), like the first pic shown, but with the sides being cnc'ed not bent like the PRS HollowbodyII and having a through neck thats hollowed like the alembic bass neck(http://alembic.com/club/messages/402...tml?1128891515). My eventual guitar may look like the one on the bottom, as this is just a photoshop ringer. As for my interest in a guitar now it is like the prs in almost every way, just like the shape in the top pics from the first post.

I could get the file done in rhino if that would save time and money...I just need the body cavity and the top done, as I am going to buy a leftie prs neck and strip the inlay and reverse the nut so that the headstock slope isn't standard. If you are good at rhino I would like to get an estimate of your imaging. I would also like to get an estimate for the cnc work without imaging if you don't mind. This is a birthday present for mid-November so time is of some concern. Thank you for your help. -Tom

Hi Tom,

It looks like your deadline is too tight for me. That leaves only one month to do everything (including shipping to and from me and you finishhing the guitar).

Sorry, with mid-November deadline, I don't think I can take on this.

If you can make the 3D model (Rhino is great) that would help a lot to whoever would do this. I am not that good at 3D drawings, just basic stuff so far. Strat neck model is probably the most complex 3D model I made so far.

PRS is a nice shape, I am actually planning to make one for myself sometime in the future. I have some nice mahogany and quilted maple for the top waiting to become a nice guitar one day

Regards,
    Frank

CAD Drawings

I'd be interested in the drawings as well! I love to take a crack at making one of these beauties! I have Rhino if you care to send DXF.

This may have to be a longer term guitar than previously thought. I am going to try and make a hollowbody template from the shape that andrew provided for the sides. I can get the specs on width and height of the guitar. Andrews zip has hiz dxf for the shape of the sides. I hope this helps someone. Considering that this would now be a longer term project and I would do the imaging, I would like a RFQ for the routing of a top and body. Thanks guys. I will make my drawings free for the prs.

Give me shout off-line. I will quote both the body and Rhino drawing.
    The time frame is fine, I can turn it around in about a week after receiving glue-up.

Good luck, Phill
    Phill Pittman
    www.masterwerkes.com
    [email protected]

Ok Iain made this design shape for the guitar and it would be the shape shown and would be routed like the top photo's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post-31-1129293083.jpg  

If you want to do the Rhino drawing, that will in fact save you some bucks.

Otherwise I will need at least some cross section drawings through the major design features and a plan view for the outline. It doesn't have to be rhino, even paper with dimensions will do.
    I just corrected the email in my signature so it does get to me now.

Thanks, PP
    Phill Pittman
    www.masterwerkes.com
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by zaboomafoo
    Here is an example of the guitar, strat type that I made on my CNC. This involved more 2 1/2 D type of the model, which is easier. Only the belly cavity and the head rest are simple 3D surfaces.

Attached are some pictures of the guitar.

Regards,
    Frank
    Have you DXF drawlings for this guitar on attach files.

Wow, I like that last pic you posted. Phill how you doing? I plan on being in Dallas third week-end in Nov. any chance you are going to be around?

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by toneV8
    Have you DXF drawlings for this guitar on attach files.
    Hi ToneV8,

I spent quite some time on them. They are not for public sharing for now.

Check this site: http://www.fender.com/support/ - you can get some nice drawings in PDF format that can be tweaked manually into DXF or any other format.

Regards,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by turmite
    Wow, I like that last pic you posted.
    Then you'll probably like this. http://www.prsguitars.com/
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ok I need a RFQ for the modeling on this project.

Lightbulb

-