586,655 active members*
2,534 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > M9 not working w/laptop?

M9 not working w/laptop?

So Gents, got a prob I hope someone can help with. I recently got a new Toshiba laptop, spent about $600 so lower/middle-end I suppose. Anyway, I installed a version of Mastercam V9 on it, and it pretty much works, but entities are invisible until I click to put them somewhere & odd things like that. I wonder (Not being Mr. Computer!) if I need to upgrade something? Years ago on my home unit I needed a meaner graphics card: Could that be the issue again, not enough oomph im card, or??? Any opinions would be GREATLY appreciated, as that's the only reason I got the unit, so I could do something constructive whilst on kidney dialysis. Thanks in advance! Chris

Yes its the Graphics
    WANNA GO FASTER

I took a class on M9 years ago, I spent a lot of time playing with program, I then got a Job saying I could program in mastercam and sat down to the computer at my new job.
    What's this, I asked? The program before me was not the Mastercam I just played with for weeks, being able to do this and that. knoock out programs , and copy and paste into a editor ; Namely notepad , then Run to the mill in the shop, with floppy in hand.
    Loading the program and adding M0's all thru out, because I did not have a power Z.
    I made all kinds of stuff, in school mind you. Not for profit, Well there was one time, I made a 12 tooth gear. For a Grandfather clock, .250 dia. with twelve teeth. No power Z mind you , .004" each cut; by hand. with a .020" end mill.
    Because you can't save unless you cracked it or payed for it, or you do like I did and copy and paste.
    it pretty much works, but entities are invisible until I click to put them somewhere & odd things like that.
    Ok First ,, What?

What year is it?
    You paid $600 for a laptop, Snicker.
    I think there is a icon for that.
    I think the min system requirements for MC9 are good for you.
    I'm running a mastercam x3 on a 1.5Gh , with 1Gb of ram and I think the onboard grafics are of a Trident chip set. I't a gateway, was about 15 bucks at a yard sale, and I had to put the memory in it, and put my own hard drive, Runs Vista good.
    Anyway. I get along with it to do some cool 3d stuff.
    But We have a MasterCam 3D seat on master cam and a 2D seat.
    All my programing is done In the office. At a chair, Proped up , right respectable and all.
    At the Machine I have a simple note pad , and a terminal program , that I just can't seam to get away from, just so easy, yet, lacks some feathers, like back-plot and renumber.

So back to you, and Your question.
    entities are invisible until I click to put them somewhere & odd things like that
    What?

Isn't a $600 laptop, like, what they use at the Pentagon & NASA & stuff? :wee: That !$$%%@! at Best Buy musta gimme the ol' Dog-Around!!

I, in my limited experience with this stuff, thought it might be da graphics card, just wanted a couple opinions that agreed (Or at least didn't say I was way off base,) so I'll check into that, methinks. Still open to any other opinions! But thanks for the assistance Gents, I appreciate it! Chris

Go into the settings for the graphics card and try turning hardware acceleration off. Might work.

John

what version of windows is on that laptop. and I would start with what John suggested.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .