586,076 active members*
4,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Anyone Solidworks 2011 users here who use...

Anyone Solidworks 2011 users here who use...

MasterCam X5 for toolpath generation of the parts they design in Solidworks 2011? I ask because i wanted to ask i question for generating toolpaths in MasterCam X5 for a 3D part i have made in Solidworks 2011, if anyone is interesting in helping me.

Whats the question?

Yes, exactly what do you want? Someone to do it for you or show you how to do it?
    In any case you'll have to upload a picture of your model at least I suppose.

Really do not see what one has to do with the other?

If you have issues exporting the part, simply save it as a parasolid with the proper co-ordinate system, and import it into mastercam X5....nothing to do with solidworks in how you generate your toolpaths once you export the model...

Again, what exactly is your question and the issue?
    ------------------
    http://www.cncguitar.com

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgCNC View Post
    Really do not see what one has to do with the other?

If you have issues exporting the part, simply save it as a parasolid with the proper co-ordinate system, and import it into mastercam X5....nothing to do with solidworks in how you generate your toolpaths once you export the model...

Again, what exactly is your question and the issue?
    One typical problem when exporting models is that the Z axis most people model with is not the Z-axis that Solidworks uses.

Take a look at the screenshot below.

The "floor-to-ceiling" is not the z-axis like it is in most MCAD programs, it is the Y-axis. The face that I have the mouse pointer on is actually the Z-axis in Solidworks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Model Axis.jpg  

This is quite simple to overcome when exporting a file.
    1) Create a SolidWorks coordinate system that ie relative to how you want your X, Y, Z to be.
    2) When you do a save as pick the file type you want to save it as (other than a sldprt).
    3) At the bottom of the save window pick options.
    4) At the bottom of the Export Options you will see Output Coordinate system. Select the SolidWorks coordinate system you created.

It's also just a matter of picking the right plane for your first extrusions or surfaces.
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheCamMan View Post
    This is quite simple to overcome when exporting a file.
    1) Create a SolidWorks coordinate system that ie relative to how you want your X, Y, Z to be.
    2) When you do a save as pick the file type you want to save it as (other than a sldprt).
    3) At the bottom of the save window pick options.
    4) At the bottom of the Export Options you will see Output Coordinate system. Select the SolidWorks coordinate system you created.
    tried that last night- very smooth! thank you for the tip

I suggest you get a hang of how to create & manage coordinate systems inside Mastercam & use them instead. Can be confusing at first but should be more useful to you if you plan to stick with mcam for a while.

Learning to set proper planes is one of the basic requirements for successful use of any CAM system.

dynamic WCS really is just as easy, but importing the file with top bring top and being able to use all of the stock wcs options seems faster and easier, but I am only 2 weeks deep into MC stand alone. pretty frustrating after how easy it was to pick up MC4SW.