587,490 active members*
4,609 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

4'x8' with wide gantry

I figured I would go ahead and start my build thread. Still waiting on parts to get here. Hope to start on the table this week. I currently am running a PlasmaCAM which is what the new table will replace.

Spec's:

64''x103'' Cutting Area
    Gantry will be across the 103'' axis
    Water Table
    HiWIN 30mm linear guides on X & Y Axis's
    HiWIN 15mm linear guides on Z & Floating Head
    CandCNC Bladerunner w/620oz steppers, MP3000 THC

I will be building the table so that at a later time I can add a tube cutter on the same axis as the gantry. So the gantry will travel past the table to cut the tube.

Nice I am looking forward to following your build..

Got started on the table tonight.

Good pics that is a big cutting area..

Sweet! I love seeing the big machines come together.

Would mind elaborating on why you chose to make the gantry across the long axis?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

I went with gantry on the long axis for 2 reasons. First so the table can be push against the wall to help utilize floor space better and to load sheets from the side easier. Second so when I add the tube cutter I will be able to cut up to 8' of tubing.

Ooh, nice. I'll be watching this one for sure.
    I've started my own build after getting sick of using a mates. I'm waiting till I get started on the actual build before posting but I do like your long axis gantry idea. I'm at a 5x5 plan right now unless I can clear out a vehicle or two from the shop. Then i may go bigger.

Keep the pics coming! Everyone likes pictures!

Nice.

I'm interested if you have come up with anything on a rotary chuck for the future pipe cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by 4R8 View Post
    Ooh, nice. I'll be watching this one for sure.
    I've started my own build after getting sick of using a mates. I'm waiting till I get started on the actual build before posting but I do like your long axis gantry idea. I'm at a 5x5 plan right now unless I can clear out a vehicle or two from the shop. Then i may go bigger.

Keep the pics coming! Everyone likes pictures!
    I've been working on, it should have some more pictures tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by RealmSteel View Post
    Nice.

I'm interested if you have come up with anything on a rotary chuck for the future pipe cutting?
    Surplus Center gear reduction w/ a shaft mount chuck is the plan.

Got more done on the table

Got more done on the table

Very nice that is a beast any idea around how heavy that will be when completed?

Thanks.

Not sure, it really shouldn't be that bad. The main frame is 2x6x.188 and the rest is 11g/14g wall. The water tray will be 12g. The gantry will be all aluminum.

Very interesting project you have here! What aluminum will you use for the gantry. t-slot, square, rectangular? I`m in the designing process of a plasma table, so it would be interesting to hear (I think I will use a square aluminum tube, not sure of the thickness)

Quote Originally Posted by Sperstad View Post
    Very interesting project you have here! What aluminum will you use for the gantry. t-slot, square, rectangular? I`m in the designing process of a plasma table, so it would be interesting to hear (I think I will use a square aluminum tube, not sure of the thickness)
    Thanks.
    Gantry will be 3x3x.250 tube, side plates will be .50 aluminum with .188 gussets.

hardy wait more progress
    very nice work!

Bladerunner system. Very impressed with the quality.

Ganty side plate (1/2'') and gusset (1/8'').

Linear rails.

Side plate w/ bearings.

Mounting rails.

Leveling the gantry.

Getting close to the end

Finally got sometime to get work done on the table. Aiming to run some test cuts this weekend then tear it down for paint. Will get more pictures once its all done.

I'm enjoying following along. I'm about to start slicing and dicing to build my table and wonder where or how you got you slat supports from?

I like your beefy 2x6 rails, btw. Will you be using castering wheels to move the table around? I'm building a 4x8 table (slightly over 4x8 and will be using my hoist to load the larger sized sheets, so hefty castering wheels are a must, that and I'm tight on space, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
    I'm enjoying following along. I'm about to start slicing and dicing to build my table and wonder where or how you got you slat supports from?

I like your beefy 2x6 rails, btw. Will you be using castering wheels to move the table around? I'm building a 4x8 table (slightly over 4x8 and will be using my hoist to load the larger sized sheets, so hefty castering wheels are a must, that and I'm tight on space, too.
    I got the slat holder dxf off here in some thread. I modified it some to fit my needs then had them waterjet cut.

No castors, the table will be stationary.