586,071 active members*
3,792 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

High Pressure system veterans

Hello

I am new to using high pressure systems and have a few questions about them and their utilization.

- From what I know, you are to direct the HP lines towards the chip, not the cutting edge, and let the regular flood lines flood the cutting edge. However, the HP seems to just blast in there and affects the actual flood, is this true?

- For directing the lines are there any tips and tricks? I try to "follow" the line to see where the HP oil will be directed, but its not a sure thing and I feel I am more so guessing where the oil will be as its pretty hard to actually see where the streams are directed (the window becomes blocked with oil and you can no longer see, and I dare not attempt to keep the door open!)

- Ive noticed aeration in my oil. After a few cycles using the HP system @800-1000psi (im breaking 304ss) my overall flood flow rate seems to drop, the flow meter doesnt show any different, but I notice a change in color and the flow rate, as after a few cycles my carefully placed lines arent getting oil to the tools anymore.

I've contacted my oil rep and will be looking into a different type as I am sure that is the likely cause of my issues.

If anyone would be willing to share any knowledge it would be much appreciated. I am not looking for all your secrets, just some general stuff as there does not seem to be much information on the net regarding this kind of stuff (Ive searched the forums too).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SirDenisNayland View Post
    - From what I know, you are to direct the HP lines towards the chip, not the cutting edge, and let the regular flood lines flood the cutting edge. However, the HP seems to just blast in there and affects the actual flood, is this true?

The perfect place for the HP stream to be is right ontop of the insert.
    That way as the chip comes out of the chip control, it's immediately hit by the HP stream causing it to further curl and break.
    On top of that you would add the flood coolant.

- For directing the lines are there any tips and tricks? I try to "follow" the line to see where the HP oil will be directed, but its not a sure thing and I feel I am more so guessing where the oil will be as its pretty hard to actually see where the streams are directed (the window becomes blocked with oil and you can no longer see, and I dare not attempt to keep the door open!)
    this is by far one of the hardest things to do well.
    If done improperly, you'll negate the effectiveness of the HP and make things worse than not having it.
    These tools work well... Streamliner Tools

- Ive noticed aeration in my oil. After a few cycles using the HP system @800-1000psi (im breaking 304ss) my overall flood flow rate seems to drop, the flow meter doesnt show any different, but I notice a change in color and the flow rate, as after a few cycles my carefully placed lines arent getting oil to the tools anymore.
    Swiss Silver Cutting Oil is a good choice, they make a HP variety that resists the aeration.
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.

High Pressure is a lifesaver on my Tsuami SS32. I was using my HP pump at around 800PSI and I thought that worked well. I turning it up to around 1900-2000 PSI and I can push all my tools way above what I had them before. I have my oil stream aimed directly at my cutting edge so when the chip curls, I get the oil underneath the chip. The chips break easily and I do .250" D.O.C. on free machining steels at 800 SFM feeding at about .008" -.012" per rev. This is for rough turning.

Also, I rigged up my coolant-thru carbide drills to blast 2000 PSI through them and I don't even use flood coolant for these drills. I will use HP oil on every job now. Turn your unit up as high as it is rated and experiment.

You want the oil to go under the chip to help quench and then break the chip.

Good Luck!

Precision CNC Machining - Progressive Turnings -
    Progressive Turnings, Inc.
    www.progressiveturnings.com

Every tooling makers has info on this process,it's used in the swiss market alot. I have had several years in this industry and high pressure coolant is the most cost effective improvement that I have seen come along in a while. You can find tooling that does all of the aimming (sp?) its all ported to put the oil at the proper location in relations to the cut. Also you must also be made aware of the fact that the foaming is one of the problems that will cause problems. The object is to create a high pressure stream not a high pressure mist.