586,096 active members*
3,397 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > SLDPRT FILE WON'T OPEN!!V22

SLDPRT FILE WON'T OPEN!!V22

I have a rush job to do and I'm totally stressed out, I'm trying to open this customers SLDPRT file and it won't open. It keeps saying file failed to open.
    PLEASE HELP! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

How I fixed version 23 for newer version of Solidworks part files

I'd imagine the info below might fix version 22 similarly. If your file is postable to the forum or if you could email it, I'm sure some kind soul would .step it out for you to be able to open it.

Solution to Bobcad 23 Opening Solidworks 2011 Files

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just replace the file C:\Program Files\Common
    Files\Solidworks Shared\SwDocumentMgr.dll with one from a machine with
    SW2011 installed. It seems to have worked for me. Version 23 now opens
    Solidworks 2011 files.

Here is the SolidWorks file if you are interested in trying it out...

Quote Originally Posted by jmullett View Post
    Solidworks 2011 files.
    Well... Nevermind. It won't let me upload the 2.6 MB file. PM or post your e-mail addy if you want the file.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Quote Originally Posted by jmullett View Post
    I'd imagine the info below might fix version 22 similarly. If your file is postable to the forum or if you could email it, I'm sure some kind soul would .step it out for you to be able to open it.

Solution to Bobcad 23 Opening Solidworks 2011 Files

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solidworks 2011 files.
    I'm sorry I'm not that great with computers, but do you mean change the location of where the file is saved?

I used another program to convert them to .STP file, so now they opened. Although I don't like doing it like that, but it got the job done. I still wish I knew exactly what jmullet is talking about.

Every new generation of SolidWorks is encoded differently. BobCAD can open a certainly year "or older" of SolidWorks. When a new version/year comes out, you need to replace the old file he mentioned with that same file from the newer version of SolidWorks.

I tried to post the file for you, but the Zone won't let me. If you tell me how to contact you I can e-mail you the file you need from SolidWorks 2011 (and maybe 2012 too...).
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

SwDocumentMgr.dll

Yes, I got the files from one of my computers that had a current licensed version of Solidworks installed on it and put the files on my computer in which BobCAD 23 resides and now it can read the newest version of solidworks files. All I can say is I've been doing this through several versions of Solidworks and it worked for me.

One thing I forgot to mention is that there are both 32 and 64 bit versions of the SWDocumentMgr.dll. So depending on if you are working with systems 64 bit OS you would need to make sure you grab the correct versions of the file. Unfortunatley they are both named exactly the same except some capitalization of some of the letters so don't mix them up.

Below shows the path to my files on a 64 bit Win 7 system with Solidworks 2011SP4 installed:

32 bit version, ‎7,357 KB, Wednesday, ‎June ‎08, ‎2011, ‏‎7:29:20 AM
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared\SwDocumentMgr.dll

64 bit version, 10,294 KB, Wednesday, ‎June ‎08, ‎2011, ‏‎8:14:54 AM
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\SolidWorks Shared\swdocumentmgr.dll

Caveat emptor! Make sure you back up you old files before you go poking around and possibly mess up your installation of BobCAD

You might also get updated versions of these files automatically by downloading and installing one of the free Solidworks part and drawing viewers available from Solidworks Corp.

JMullet's solution worked for me on the same issue with 23, to me 22
    is not worth even loading on your computer, Way too many issues.

22 sat on my computer unused for the better part of a year until a sales guy
    called and I described my problems, they upgraded to 23 rather cheap

I would suggest contacting BobCad and upgrading to 23 (If that is even an option
    these days) I think you will find 23 fixed many issues, The upgrade... if you haggle
    with them on the price, is very in-expensive

Im still not hearing a good reason to go to 24 as of yet, But when start hearing the
    positive chatter I heard when 23 was released, I may be interested

Waynno