586,104 active members*
3,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Using Pipe

Using Pipe

I've been thinking of how the DIY machines function as I prepare to put together a JGRO based machine. Supporting the pipe seems to be the key for preventing flex but, is not so simple to do.

Assuming the pipe is supported either continuously along it's length or at several spaced intervals, what is the function of the pipe adjustment blocks? If the the pipe is supported along it's length, I see the adjustment blocks as being non-functional. I guess this only applies to pipes that are supported via a rigid system without the option of adjustments to the supports.

So for pipes that are fixed along it's length by adjustable mounts, do you use the pipe adjustment block to make them parallel and then bring in the "fixed" mounts to hold the pipe in it's desired position?

Thanks,
    -Rocko

Quote Originally Posted by Nightz
    So for pipes that are fixed along it's length by adjustable mounts, do you use the pipe adjustment block to make them parallel and then bring in the "fixed" mounts to hold the pipe in it's desired position?
    As you said, the adjustment blocks allow for very easy adjustment, then the intermediate supports can be adjusted to position to eliminate sag and flex.
    Likewise the intermediate supports can be trued and the blocks can then be tightened to lock everything into place.
    The hybrid system that uses the end blocks with a few intermediate supports is easier to build than a system that supports the pipe the entire length. So even though it does seem redundant it is a good simple set-up.
    David
    www.solsylva.com

Jgro Router Pipe Support.

I am very close to finisishing a Jgro Router. It may cut or engrave something to-night.

I have thought a lot about Pipe support especially on the long Axis. I think I have solution which I will implement. This solution is, extend the bottom torsion box top skin out to level with the end supports in 3/4" MDF, (There is just enough clearance with the bottom of the gantry you may want to provide a little more), then put some sides on that are bolted into the edge of the skin, what's a few more edge tapped MDF threads.

This assembly should be rigid enough to use to support the pipes with packing and shims or adjustable bolts and locknuts. The support may only be needed in one or two places.

Just my 2 cents worth before you start.
    Brian
    The Sawdust Creator