586,076 active members*
3,952 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Photograph cutout for sand casting

I am looking for some one that can do a cut out in 3d for a sign.
    Here is the picture
    http://www.chevelles.net/wichita/
    I don't want the building in the background.

This is a RFQ

Not that I able to help you out, but the first time I clicked the attachment I got a sedan sitting in front of a (rock?) wall with a steel tractor hanging from the wall. Curiosity got the better of me with the statement "WACO meeting Joe Self Chevrolet" so I clicked on it again and got a red and white pickup (different car) sitting in front of a different wall. Hmmm.....???? The statement still has the better of me....Waco residents are going to meet Joe S.C.?, There's going to be a meeting in Waco and Joe S.C. will be there? Self (built) Chevrolet? One of these change-your-surname and become somebody else tomorrow deals? Meeting in Waco to see Joe Self's Chevrolet? Hmmm.....

Sorry I didn't look at the file. Hope this uploads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails waco37.jpg  

I'm not really sure what you would like... do you mean like an aluminum plate the shape of the car and engrave the details or do you mean like an actual 3-d model of the car?

I am wanting a 3d cut out in foam of the car. Sorry I was not direct. Good question.

This is a cristmas present to one of my friends. I am wanting a sign made in foam that I can cast in brass. I am wanting the letters cut in the chevy cursive logo to say (Brent's Chevelle Shop) above the car. I hope that was descriptive enuff for you all. I will leave the rest of the thought process up to you.
    Thanks, William

Ok... but what you want sounds pretty tricky, so i have suggestion.. Find a graphic artist in your area, have him create a 3-d model of what you like in an iges or a dxf file format.. than ask for the quote.. I can do the 3-d surfacing that you would need , but drawing it is another issue...

I just did a quick test for you and I dont think you will get the result you want. The problem with cars is that they reflect sunlight too well and it doesnt translate into a picture reader that well. The shine actually makes the car look dented.
    See below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carjpg.jpg   Clipboard.jpg  

Actually Benny, if you squint, it don't look so bad!

Every time I see one of Benny's 2 minute jobs I wonder why I can't do something like that in 2 minutes. Impressive!

Well Thanks. I was hoping someone could do it in wire to smooth out the glossy spots. I have asked his wife to get a picture on a cloudy day. But I don't think she is going to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ynneb
    I just did a quick test for you and I dont think you will get the result you want. The problem with cars is that they reflect sunlight too well and it doesnt translate into a picture reader that well. The shine actually makes the car look dented.
    See below
    Benny:
    What software are you using, and can it generate g-code?

Jerry

Bronze Chevelle

aircub,

It is possible to take an image such as that and convert the image brightness into surface height. Yes, there are problems with doing that - like the bright reflections turning into high points on the surface.
    But if the surface relief height is relatively small, a bronze casting made from this would still look reasonably good.

I spent a little bit of time in VS3D playing with the image and I came up with this:

Toolpaths to cut this in wax (for a lost-wax casting) would be easy to do in VS3D.

The original photo is a low-resolution image - higher resolution would be better. And it appears to be a highly-compressed JPEG image with rather severe compression artifacts that can come out when processing the image.

A better overall situation would be to get a 3D CAD model of a 1970 Chevelle. Then one could use that in VS3D to produce a very accurate relief surface. Here is an example of that process using a 3D model of the Eiffel Tower:

VS3D 3D Model Relief Carving

Lacking a 3D model, it would be possible to build a very nice relief surface from that image using the digital sculpting tools in VS3D. But that would take several hours of work to create for someone who is very adept at using VS3D - or longer for a novice user.

PS: Nice Chevelle !
    I'm a member of ACES and I spend some time at the Team Chevelle site (I wrote some of the content for it, in fact).
    Daniel Carr - President,
    Designs Computed, LLC

Benny:
    What software are you using, and can it generate g-code?
    Jerry
    Same as what dcar has used, VS3D. Yes it does generate Gcode. However I only have the trial version and cannot do so. I never cut pictures so probably will never buy it either.

If you like I could take a whack at it after I touch up the foto in photoshop.-Dave

Here is my 2 min. worth.

Don't let anyone say it can't be done (It can)

You could prob. take the photo I started, and finish cleaning it up, with MS Paint, on your own.

Just zoom in, and do pixel by pixel, & re-connect any broken lines.

The shadows don't matter, just clean them up. Any white space wont be milled.
    Then repost here and have someone take your new photo , convert that to g-code, then cut what you need. :wee:

If you need help finishing the photo ,let me know.

Later...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails waco37.jpg   1111111111.JPG  

Tkanks. Now how about a cut out. Anyone?

$350 plus postage and handling from Australia.

Something you might need to do, is mirror the image (Look below) since your doing a sand casting.

Also, you never said anything about the finished size, of the foam cutting.

You should also browse the Photo Gallery for similar items that others have done and contact them (maybe they never found this post)

This guy does a lot of foam work, check out his photo gallery (I think he has 3 pages)

Link:-------> http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showg...00&ppuser=1498

Good Luck.

You really need to clean this photo up, before you generate any g-code (the cleaner the photo, the better the detail in your finished casting)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1111111111.JPG  

Page 1 of 2 12