586,104 active members*
3,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > BF-20 R8 Spindle Conversion

BF-20 R8 Spindle Conversion

I'm looking to convert my BF-20 MT2 spindle to R8. I read in a post that there may be a kit available but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find an R8 cartridge for this purpose?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bellais View Post
    I'm looking to convert my BF-20 MT2 spindle to R8. I read in a post that there may be a kit available but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find an R8 cartridge for this purpose?

Thanks!

Hi Bellais,

I don't know about a kit....but...

Diyengineer converted one of his back when he had one.

Here are 2 specific posts on the conversion parts list.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/821414-post64.html

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/821182-post62.html

This is to the whole thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...0v_bf20lv.html

I think he ordered the parts direct from Grizzly for the R8 and swapped them out. You may be able to do the same from then vendor you got your mill from if they offer an R8 version.

Also has a few youtube videos on his diyengineer channel working with the spindle - he's actually upgrading the bearings but shows the pieces for R8...here is one:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA8GVZt71xk]Grizzly G0704 Highspeed Bearing upgrade Part 1. - YouTube[/ame]

Good luck,

Doug

Just order the R8 parts from Grizzly

P0704246 - SPINDLE R8 V1
    P0704249 - QUILL SLEEVE
    P0704247 - SPINDLE RING
    P0704252 - ADJUSTER NUT SCREW
    P0704251 - ADJUSTER NUT
    P0704250 - RUBBER RING
    P0704246-1 - DRAWBAR
    P0704246-2 - RETAINER CUP
    P0704201 - QUILL RETAINING CLIP

You need one of each total is about $200 US, the taper roller bearings you have to source from your local supplier. If memory serves me correct the Nachi ones have a higher rating than the originals.
    I'm still waiting for my parts to arrive, but being Down Under and the bits being on back order I understand.
    Maybe an idea to go through a mail forwarder as the Grizzly shipping can be quite expensive to OS. Well was in my case. This is no bearing on Grizzly themselves, who were quite helpful in the whole transaction.
    If you have any Q's please feel free to pm me.
    Cheers
    Rob
    Stoner #1

Your so called "Black Round THings" take what we call here in the states, a spanner wrench to get them on and off.

You can make a wrench real easy with flat plate steel & pins. There was a guy that took a ajustable wrench & drilled each jaw and installed steel pins in each jaw. This made a wrench that would fit many size spanner needs which they dont make ( that I know of).

Post number 1224 of this thead shows one made from a ajustable wrench. I think page #88 has some made from flat steal like I described. This whole thread has some of the coolest shop made tools I have ever seen, well worth joining a reading.

Shop Made Tools - Page 123 - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS

You can get different size PVC pipe to use for pressingyour bearings. You need some the same size as the outer, and inner races.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Put the bearings in a freezer, they do shrink up enough to drop in. I had to repace one on my 911, worked like a charm, no press required.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I called Grizzly but the parts are on backorder until late January.

@Bladehunter - Thanks for the part list. It helped. I don't need to worry about shipping costs to Germany. I work for the US DoD and can get it shipped vis USPS for normal postage/shipping costs.