586,096 active members*
3,725 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

New Mori owner, few questions

I just bought my first VMC, pretty excited about it.

I got a Mori MV-40B at auction, its a fanuc machine.

I received some technical doc's with it but I am not sure if I am missing any books,

It has

Mori Seiki Electrical circuit diagram
    Mori Fanuc programming manual 10MA
    FANUC 10/11/12/100/110/120 Maintenance manual
    FANUC 10/11/12/100/110/120 Operators manual
    FANUC 10/11/12/100/110/120M - Modeal A Operators manual

Am I missing any? Doesn't seem like there is much Mechanically about the machine, just info on programming and wiring.

I am trying to figure out if its CAT40 or BT-40

Anyone have any clues?

thanks!

damn computer................

Mori Ladder Diagram
    Parts list
    Mori operation manual (not really needed)

Take a picture of the ATC claw. Post back. Thats the only way you can tell, Mori spindles accept either without modification.

Well, as i was taking some shots and I found the ceramic on the taper is cracked

Can you see what type of tool holder this uses from the pics?

For the ceramic, is there any place that can fit a new ceramic insert? What are my options?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails toolchangerclaw1.jpg   toolchangerclaw2.jpg   brokenceramicspindle.jpg  

Cat 40

I have used GTI spindles to replace the taper. They put steel inserts in, but not sure they can do it without removing the spindle bearings. Last one, full rebuild with a new insert was ~7K. Mori used that ceramic for a few years only, while it held up fine in normal use, once something bad happened you got that. Could be ATC arm is out of alignment, spindle was crashed, or??

That spindle is not to bad to get out, once you've done a couple. It's not a simple unbolt and drop however. I used to get one out in about 3 hours max.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Cat 40

I have used GTI spindles to replace the taper. They put steel inserts in, but not sure they can do it without removing the spindle bearings. Last one, full rebuild with a new insert was ~7K. Mori used that ceramic for a few years only, while it held up fine in normal use, once something bad happened you got that. Could be ATC arm is out of alignment, spindle was crashed, or??

That spindle is not to bad to get out, once you've done a couple. It's not a simple unbolt and drop however. I used to get one out in about 3 hours max.
    I got this mill at an auction and don't have much history on it. I dont even have power run to it yet. So I am not quite sure if it was crashed or the ATC, I dont have tooling yet either... Was trying to figure out the BT versus CAT. From what you say sounds like I have cat.

Based on the coolant and chips in the machine when I got it. It seems like it had been running fairly recently... I wonder when the cracking happened (not that it matters now)

I am guessing its not easy to just get a new ceramic insert for this spindle, that would make things nice huh?

Is the ceramic better then a steel insert. Seems like the hardsurface wouldn't wear at all (which is great) but if its crashed something that might wear the taper a bit cracks this one.

So, 7k for a spindle rebuild. Wow that sucks, it will definitely delay me getting this machine running for a while.

Oh, its CT for sure. I prefer the steel inserts. If they wear you can have them re-ground on the machine. If you want my opinion, get some either cheap or used CT40 holders with the correct retention knob, and run it. Dont push too hard, or expect 0 run out. See if the rest of the machine is ok, that will also give you time to evaluate the spindle. Unless there is a vertical crack all the way up the insert, it will be ok for a while. At the time you decide to repair it, get a good tech in to pull the spindle that has done them before, and make sure he has a drawbar dynamometer to test tool clamp force.

Oh, its CT for sure. I prefer the steel inserts. If they wear you can have them re-ground on the machine. If you want my opinion, get some either cheap or used CT40 holders with the correct retention knob, and run it. Dont push too hard, or expect 0 run out. See if the rest of the machine is ok, that will also give you time to evaluate the spindle. Unless there is a vertical crack all the way up the insert, it will be ok for a while. At the time you decide to repair it, get a good tech in to pull the spindle that has done them before, and make sure he has a drawbar dynamometer to test tool clamp force.
    hmmm, so your thinking I can probably get away with running and cutting with the cracked taper? It seems like all the damage is at the bottom. Nothing I am planning on doing so far is super critcal with tolerancing (+/- .003") so a little run out is ok with me as long as i can get decent surface finish.

Ive seen them worse and still running.

BTW, dont forget, a VMC such as that require level and tramming upon instalation. You dont want to get it wrong, as those coolant tanks are a PIA to get back out, and almost impossible when full of coolant.

I am going to be leveling it in the next day or two. What do you mean by Tramming?

Sorry, I am very new to the world of VMC's

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHZGhPkdH8A]how to tram a mill ut.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

This is obviously a bridgeport style manual machine, but the basic concept is the same. Mag base on the spindle, indicator swing as much as you can fit on the table. Gauge block. Adjustment is made by the leveling pads. Spindle has to be square to the table, level isn't as important, but you should not use a carpenters level, I use a .0002" per 10" level for this. Couldn't find anything on youtube for bed mills, maybe I could be a star..not.

Tolerance is no more than .0005 on a 15" circle for a used machine IMO. Closer is better.

Do you have any clue if the spindles throughout the production range will interchange on the MV-40B?

I found someone with a rebuilt spindle from a machine in the 92-94 vintage.

My machine is a 88

Part number on replacement spindle is 166101203

Not sure on the part number, doesn't look like a valid part number to me. No way for me to be able to tell you for sure. The mv40 spindles were integral even back then I believe. 90-92 would be for sure. So the rotor diameter would have to be the same as well as the spindle housing diameter length, cooling grooves, etc. I honestly don't think they would be since mori changed the whole drawbar type in those years, but again, without having them side by side I couldn't tell you ya or na.

Does unit 522F mean anything?

I have no way to check part numbers any longer since I took a cushy job. Usually they had a letter followed by a 6-10 digit number. I'd try calling your local rep and ask for a written quote. They put part numbers on the quotes...

kind of like

WO7165A
    WO7145A,

I will do some more digging. thanks again

Hey blkaplan

I read that you have "Mori Seiki Electrical circuit diagram", I have a Mori Seiki MV40 but beside the maintenance manual and operating manual I didn't receive any other documentation with the machine so I was wondering if you are willing to share with me?

all i have to offer is mu operating manual and the 2 years experiance that i have with this machine

Cat 40

I just got off the phone with Mori and they said the machine was listed as a BT machine, are you sure that it has a CT arm on it?

I also asked about replacing the ceramic taper and they said that the insert can not be replaced but a new shaft has to be installed with the ceramic built in.

it is definitely CAT I have the same arm on my machine.

the taper on my machine also has some small cracks but it runs just fine so try it first like it is, and then if it damaged a lot, than change it...

what about that "Mori Seiki Electrical circuit diagram" can you send it to me ???

Quote Originally Posted by vladimir1409 View Post
    it is definitely CAT I have the same arm on my machine.

the taper on my machine also has some small cracks but it runs just fine so try it first like it is, and then if it damaged a lot, than change it...

what about that "Mori Seiki Electrical circuit diagram" can you send it to me ???
    Are the arms really that visually different? To convert a machine from Cat to BT would it just be an arm swap?

All the documents i have are paper copies, if you need any info from them let me know and i can try to find it.

Page 1 of 5 123