586,100 active members*
2,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Steppers buzzing with Gecko G540 while idle and high pitch when stop
Page 2 of 2 12
    Interesting, I actually just bought a brand new Rev 8 from Soigeneris.com, to replace my Rev4 unit because I “thought” something was wrong with it. I installed the new model, and I noticed my disable switch was actually the failing issue here, not the drive.

Now why I’m posting is this. My steppers are dead-quiet with the Rev4 drive, but with the Rev 8 drive, they’re very noisy and squeal quite a bit. Is this due to the changes in the unit from Rev4? I already have an email in to Marris, but thought I should post about it to all of you in case some of you are experiencing the same thing?

Thanks,
    Dave

Ok, so talked with Jeff over at Soigeneris, and in a nutshell, yes, changes were made to these about 2 years ago. The change was to reduce the motor heat that was produced at idle. The switching frequency is at audible frequencies so you can hear it, but it does reduce motor heating at idle. Depending on the motors, the tone is different on some machines, but you can still hear it.

I think I wrote that right, but I'm sure Jeff will correct me if I'm wrong
    Dave

Wanted to bump this and see if anyone solved their issue? My motors sound just like the ones in the video posted earlier - Steppers at idle

Thanks in advance!

Nah, my motors are still making noise.

For what it's worth, I've been running my machine for over a year like this, no performance problems yet.. so I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jalien21 View Post
    Nah, my motors are still making noise.

For what it's worth, I've been running my machine for over a year like this, no performance problems yet.. so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Thanks for the reply.

Makes me feel better that you are not having any issues even with the "buzzing", still wish I could eliminate it though.

I did see this thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko_...tml#post541044. It says the g540 is already optically isolated but since it uses the g251's I am going to look into it more.

First time CNC build project for me. Found this thread with pretty much the same question about stepper noise while powered up, and at idle.

I just got to the point on my control box build to power up the g540. Using steppers bought from Cnc Router parts. One 960oz NEMA 34, no resistor in the DB9 cable. Two 380oz NEMA 23 steppers, using the DB9 cables w/built in resistors from Cnc Router parts. They all make a noise that to me, sounds like a tiny mouse running, or an extremely lite and rapid finger drumming on a desk. I also noticed a very slight ozone smell that was so light I really wasn't sure where it was coming from.

After reading this, i guess there are no worries.
    Next, finish the PC, and try some jogging tests.

Hey CR, Sorry, didn't notice your reply from a while back! I installed the resistors, buzzing still audible at idle, but not loud, and not a big deal. I think I bought Nema 23 381 or 465 oz-in for x&y, and 906 or close to that for z. Just started in on it last week, finally got some time. Thanks for your help.

Re: Steppers buzzing with Gecko G540 while idle and high pitch when stop

I have 2 systems running the same motors with the geckodrives. One is quiet and one has a loud hiss when the motors are idle. The loud system has a switching power supply and the quiet system has a transformer/rectifier/capacitor power supply. On the quiet system, I need to put my ear on the motor in order to hear the hiss. I have not adjusted the trim pots on either system, but I wonder if the type of power supply has something to do with it.

Do the people with noisy motors have Meanwell power supplies being used?

1) Are your current set resistors located on the DB-9 at the G540 end? You will get various obnoxious noises if the resistor is at the motor end of the cable. The motor wires in the cable inject all kinds of interference into the current set pins if the resistor is at the motor end.

Page 2 of 2 12