586,102 active members*
2,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Is this spindle meant to be cooled with air or water?

Is this spindle meant to be cooled with air or water?

Hi, I purchased a router and the spindle has 2 lines coming out, and a pump was supplied, to me it looks like a water pump.
    But I didn't think it would be too safe to run water through the spindle because of all the electronics below the machine.
    Below are some pics, could someone advise if it is meant to be air or water?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dsc01279.jpg   Dsc01280.jpg  

If it were air cooled, there would probably not be a return line. the easiest sure way to tell would be to power up the pump, and see if it generates any significant amount of pressure when run dry. If not, it is a fluid pump. Don't run it long that way, though. Most fluid pumps are cooled by the liquid passing through them. And you'll likely need to add a heat exchanger (radiator) to the system to cool the liquid after it leaves the spindle, otherwise you'll overrun the small thermal losses of the system quickly when under power.

This was a 80 RMB(China) submerge water pump use for aquarium.

Where was the radiator ??

You better use pure distilled. Maybe "Watsons"..