586,094 active members*
3,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Air Compressor

I have all my equipment inbound for putting my 4x8 together. Hypertherm 45 torch, I believe it states it requires about 7 cfm at 85 psi. Regardless if that is exact, my compressor can't maintain, I think it is about 4 or 5 at 85 PS I.

So i am looking for advice on a compressor. I bought a water catch/regulator from hsrbor freight. Read on the Lowes reviews on their $600 compressor that it genorates a lot of heat and water. Dont think I want that one.

Harbor Freight has this one...

Compressor

Only 9 reviews. Anyone yay or nay on this unit? Or advice on another decent affordable unit? This is for my personal shop, not a company.

I have a PM 45 also, I went with this IR compressor. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NGP8JS/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details"]Amazon.com: Ingersoll Rand SS3L3 3-Horsepower 230-Volt 60-Gallon Vertical Compressor: Home Improvement[/ame]

It is great, you will want to get a better dryer than that HF unit. I was still getting moisture with mine so I replaced it with a Speedaire Desiccant dryer Dryer, Desiccant - Desiccant Dryers - Compressed Air Treatment - 5VC90 : Grainger Industrial Supply

The desiccant lasts me about 1 month per fill and I use the plasma almost daily.

I drain the compressor once a week and i probably get about 1/2 - 1 cup of water per draining.

My thoughts on HF are if it has a power cord to not buy it.

My mind is the compressor is the most important part of the system, besides good clean air.

I ended up scoring a used 2-stage IR compressor used. Since it pumps so much more volume, it ends up running far far less than my old single-stage compressor did, which is fantastic.

I've gone through a few variations of my water control devices, but what I have now is (and should remain...): Compressor with auto-drain valve (drains a puff every time the compressor cycles), HF refrigerated air dryer, then a HF desiccant dryer just before the plasma, and an Eliminizer on the PM45.

The only reason I have the desiccant is because I was using it before I got the refrigerated unit, and I figure it can't hurt to take out any remnants of moisture--I haven't seen any evidence of any water at any point past the refrigerated dryer, so anything there won't be much.

I guess to answer your actual question--I wouldn't buy a compressor from Harbor Freight. Whatever you do buy, get the biggest/baddest one you can. You'll never wish for less air, but you might wish for more....
    Carl

Does that HF refrigerator unit work good? I have thought about getting one so I can have all my lines dried.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtBound View Post
    Does that HF refrigerator unit work good? I have thought about getting one so I can have all my lines dried.
    It seems to. My power switch melted in half the first 15 minutes of use, but I replaced it with a quality switch and it's been great so far.

I wanted to make sure my lines were dry, since my compressor is in a separate building from my plaz table, and I was kinda worried about the line between freezing in winter if there was any condensation.
    Carl