586,075 active members*
4,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Lathe Comparison - Best small lathe for CNC
Page 3 of 3 123

Wink

wow, I thought I have made up my mind on getting a rong fu (HF version)mill and the 9x20 hf lathe since there is a retail store intown. I really dont need the 20" length on the 9x20 so the 8x12/14 is really looking nice plus it sounds like its better built. I have to give them a call, I wonder if they will special order stuff into the store that they dont normally carry in the store?

Darren

Edit: well they dont even have access to it in the store so they cant special order it. so now it either pay the shipping or go with the 9X20. Great more decisions. :idea:

CNC Darren,

I asked the local HF store and they claimed that company policy and something to do with the way interstate sales were taxed prevented them from ordering in items that show "internet and catalog only".

Alan

CNC Darren, if you plan to get that 9x30, you might want to sign up with HF and get their 10-20% off coupons (email every week or something). That'll at least cover the tax and some toolings.

I am subscribed to it, there is also a Yahoo group called cheaptools that the members post good coupons they get in the files section. I already used the 20% coupon twice on little stuff, if i was ready to get the lathe i would use it for sure!

Thanks for the tip tho!

Darren

What type of moter is your KBIC controller hooked up to? is it the stock motor?

cncuser1,

I haven't hooked it up yet. I have a 1.5 hp Pac Sci 110v DC motor to install when I get some time. I am trying to finish up my router before I really start to CNC my lathe.

I just fitted a 5" 4-jaw chuck to my lathe so that I could turn the Nema 34 plates for my router steppers.

Alan

Has anyone converted the 8x14 into a CNC unit? I have a high interest in the lathe after realizing it would work well where my 7x12 falls short. I do want to convert to CNC and want to make sure it can be done before purchasing one. (chair)

Cnc and mini lathe.

Check this website. Very interesting. This gentleman has converted an 8 X 14 mini lathe.
    Great job and excellent description of his process.
    Here it is: http://www.sover.net/~snowleop/cnclathe/

He has other very interesting projects.
    Jose.
    SuperDAD

Thanks for the link, it looks like that is a 7 x 14 however. I'm having a hard time finding any info about the 8 x 14 mod. Will the 8 easily convert also ?

Page 3 of 3 123