586,594 active members*
3,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Musical Instrument Design and Construction > Les Paul Modeling with SW, Any Interest?
Page 1 of 2 12

Les Paul Modeling with SW, Any Interest?

Hi All,

As many of you know, my Archtop videos are out, but I have gotten a couple requests to do a specific series on how to model a Les-paul ('59 archtop) with Solidworks.

How many would be interested specifically in this? Is there any interest?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lp.top1.jpg   lp.top2.jpg   lp.top3.jpg   lp.top4.jpg  

lp.top5.jpg  
    ------------------
    http://www.cncguitar.com

I would be more interested in a PRS guitar

Thank you for that suggestion....

I think that is a great idea! One issue with that I see, is that there are not many reference materials out there (like for example a good set of plans) which detail all the shapes of this type of guitar.

I have certainly modeled it, and I think it is very close, but not sure how close to say a good PRS Mcarty it is, as again, no set of plans.

I think however, that once the process is shown, it can easily be changed or shaped to someone's liking...

Know of any good reference material, other than pictures?
    ------------------

Interested in solidworks modeling techniques\

I would love to see how a Les Paul is modeled. I've tried a few time to model a Les Paul and an archtop in Catia and Solidworks. Check out this forum for a comprehensive hand build of a Les Paul. ExNihilo Vintage Burst Build - My Les Paul Forums

a Very informative read.

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/carve-template-set
    http://pdfcast.org/pdf/carve-crss-sections

I have looked for PRS plans with no luck. Your models look great and I think that I would enjoy building and playing it. There are lots of Les Paul plans around. Perhaps if you teach use how to model a PRS we could modify the plans to make a Les Paul (since there is lots of info on the Les Pauls out there already.

OK..I see where you are coming from.....however, the process of creating a Les-Paul top is somewhat different than that of a PRS...the PRS in my opinion, and in the way I modeled it, is much easier....

not sure if you have seen "my version" of the guitar?

CNC Guitar.Router.Gallery

still want a PRS over a Les? Maybe include BOTH in the same video set?:-)
    ------------------

Yes, include both. I would purchased it!

Spiro,

I have been waiting for your Archtop tutorial to come out but I am not really interested in modeling a hollow body guitar. My vote is for lessons on modeling a Les Paul.

I'll buy one. I've bought your previouos 4 DVDs and will soon be purchasing the archtop DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgCNC View Post
    Hi All,

As many of you know, my Archtop videos are out, but I have gotten a couple requests to do a specific series on how to model a Les-paul ('59 archtop) with Solidworks.

There is some interest.:wave:

I would buy this also.

any progress on the Les Paul or PRS design videos?

les paul top

:wave: hi, I am interested on your les paul models, I have developed my version and carved it with my home made cnc router
    anyway your model looks much more real and curves looks smoother than mine.....I modeled the LP in Rhino, and milling motor i use is mach 3.Do you share your model , '? price?

thank you

jaime schorr
    :wave:

Quote Originally Posted by CyborgCNC View Post
    Hi All,

Quote Originally Posted by Jiamus View Post
    :wave: hi, I am interested on your les paul models, I have developed my version and carved it with my home made cnc router
    anyway your model looks much more real and curves looks smoother than mine.....I modeled the LP in Rhino, and milling motor i use is mach 3.Do you share your model , '? price?

thank you

jaime schorr
    :wave:
    Would love to see your CNC and what Les Paul you made............

give me an email and wil send you images from my cnc!!!

best regards!!

jiamus

Modeling archtops and LP

Hi Cyborg,

One thing I noticed is that your cutaway edge thickness is to thick. Looking at the Benedetto book (or some similar reference and based on almost 20 years of building) the edge is typically uniform all the way around. You obviously do a trim and leave the edge thickness as it is.

As a jazz guitarist (at least at my level) I would never notice the difference, but some of my customers (who play infinitely better than I do) would notice and complain about the edge thickness inside the cutaway.

In your finished gcode, do you compensate for this or do you leave it as pictured (I recycled one of your pictures for this reply).

Steven
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lp_top5.jpg  
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio View Post
    Hi Cyborg,

One thing I noticed is that your cutaway edge thickness is to thick. Looking at the Benedetto book (or some similar reference and based on almost 20 years of building) the edge is typically uniform all the way around. You obviously do a trim and leave the edge thickness as it is.

As a jazz guitarist (at least at my level) I would never notice the difference, but some of my customers (who play infinitely better than I do) would notice and complain about the edge thickness inside the cutaway.

In your finished gcode, do you compensate for this or do you leave it as pictured (I recycled one of your pictures for this reply).

Steven

that's the way its supposed to be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CutawayBinding.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	166282

If you want your resulting guitar to be HIGHLY accurate to the specifications of a 1959 Les Paul Standard, you should get yourself this set of templates and use them as data sources.

Templates

To see them in use, visit this long topic:

MLP Bartlett Build - Page 30 - Les Paul Forums

Also, Google for "Gil Yaron guitars". It will inspire you.

CJ

Quote Originally Posted by sdantonio View Post
    Hi Cyborg,

Steven
    Not true. Your drawing looks correct Cyborg. The cutaway does in fact look like that and there is the characteristic "smile" that shows a little bit of the maple peaking through the edge in the cutaway below the binding. These are difficult guitars to copy. Many pitfalls to be found. Even G**son can't seem to get it right now.
    Keep in mind that the best way is to copy an original and then you would really have something of value.

sdantonio is misinformed. The proper carve in the cutaway DOES result in the thickness of the maple top being greater than anywhere else around the body.

If you try to reduce the cutaway thickness to an even edge height, like the rest of the body, you get a distorted carve around the cutaway.

To model it correctly, you would imagine that you made a non-cutaway body, with the top carve being identical on the upper and lower halves of the body, and then you cut
    out the cutaway but make NO changes to the thickness of the top.

CJ

Page 1 of 2 12