586,096 active members*
3,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Designing an assembly for a needle thrust bearing

Designing an assembly for a needle thrust bearing

Hi,

I'm designing a shaft assembly where I have a non-rotating piece (an actuator) that I want to press against a rotating pulley surface. I was going to use a needle thrust bearing between the two, but I realise I'm unsure how to locate the roller cage. Obviously I can locate one thrust washer in the pulley, and the other in the actuator, but I don't know how to keep the roller cage assembly in place. Is it sufficient just to place it under compressive load between the thrust washers while the shaft is rotating, or is something more needed?

Re-reading this I realise my description may not be that clear, but I can't think of a better way to describe it! I've attached a couple of pictures which will hopefully clarify the set up (actuator in orange, needle cage assembly in red, thrust washers in dark grey).

Any suggestions/pointers appreciated!

Thanks,
    Luke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Needle thrust bearing 1.jpg   Needle thrust bearing 2.jpg  

You can use the outer diameter of the roller cage to constrain it by turning a counter bore in one side or the other.
    The inner diameter can constrain it, if you put a diameter that is close to it, on the shaft.

Dan

Ok, so is the idea I have a loose fit for the cage (internally or externally) to stop it moving out of position, then it self aligns when rotating?