I have a prototrak 2000 machine using a MX3 control which can be manually programmed or as I do use alphacam software.
The programs are put into the machine by using a floppy drive and at the moment it's the way I use the machine.

However I wish to use the 2.5 axis machine in full 3 axis mode and I am being told that I need to purchase a DNC kit which will be around £500.

That will apparently allow me to "drip feed" programs into the machine from my PC.

That said I think I will then have to update my alphacam (current version is 2002) and to do that I have to take out the annual maintenance at a cost of around £800?

To that end I am looking at alternative ways of achieving my aim of full 3 axis movement and am toying with purchasing MACH 3.
From what I have read that allows me to use my PC as an up to 5 axis controller? Does anyone know if it is compatible with alphacam as I really like the user friendly system alphacam software that I have become accustomed.

Can mach 3 be integrated with alphacam?

Will I run into post processor problems?

It looks to me like MACH 3 can run the machine from the PC direct so will unrestrict my limited size programs sent to the current mx3 controller?

The machine itself is a 1997 model but it has had very little use i.e. maybe 6 full weeks work in total from day one as it has been in storage for many years and only put back into operation less than a year ago.

I feel like removing the MX3 controller if MACH 3 will do what I am aiming to achieve? Any help on these issues would be very much appreciated, best regards, bugattiman