586,546 active members*
3,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Grizzly G0619 (SX3) Tramming Problem.

Grizzly G0619 (SX3) Tramming Problem.

My Mill/Drill won't drill a straight hole! When milling, the front of the "Y" axis is 2 or 3 thou deeper than the rear. "X" axis is alright. Seems like the head is leaning forward a few degrees. Anyone know how to tram the head so it drills and mills straight? Maybe tighten the lower gibbs more than the top gibbs. Manual is any help. Thanks

find out whether its the column or head that is off

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0203 View Post
    find out whether its the column or head that is off
    Just had another thought! What if the front of the table is off? Ouch! Now I'm back to square one about what's wrong where?????

To find out if it's the Y-axis, clamp a dial indicator to the side of the head (magnetic clamp is fine), lower it to touch the table, then move the Y axis from front to back to check how level it is. Keeping the head in one location while moving the Y-axis will isolate the Y-axis, and tell whether the table is out.

If the table is OK, check the column aligment by clamping a precision square to the table with the blade vertical, then run the indicator attached to the head up and down it. This will isolate the column axis from the spindle axis for testing.

If the column is OK, then the spindle axis is what is out of alignment. I don't have an X3, so I don't know the exact clamping method holding the head to the column, but this should get the answers you need to figure out the way to correct the problem. I have read that the X3 design have had this problem before, so you could do a search in this forum to find out how others have dealt with this issue.

Is it "nodding" on Z+ moves? By that I mean is it dropping the 2-3 thou you are seeing when when you move the head up, or are you seeing it on the plunge?
    What are you trying to drill?
    What size drill/endmill are you using?

First thing I would do is unplug it and grab the spindle with your hand and try and lift up on the head to see if the whole head is moving at the Z gib.
    If it is moving I would tighten the Z gib and/or re-work the gib strip
    You can set a DTI up on the top of the column or of the face of the column to check exactly how much if any it is moving when you lift on the head.
    Oh, and from your pic it looks like I can see the gib adjusting bolt fairly proud of the column, you might want to try and tighten it up to see if that helps at all

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

If its the table then you would fix it by shimming the column to get it back to being perpendicular. First you should square the head to the column and then do the head/column to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by cornbinder23 View Post
    Is it "nodding" on Z+ moves? By that I mean is it dropping the 2-3 thou you are seeing when when you move the head up, or are you seeing it on the plunge?
    What are you trying to drill?
    What size drill/endmill are you using?

JTCUSTOMS
    I'm guessing about the 2-3 thou based on the drilled hole results. I'm dirlling mild steel and it does it with all sizes of bits w/collets. You guys have given me some great info on how to start checking my machine. When I get a chance I'll trying doing some of all your suggestions. Thanks to all!