586,112 active members*
2,988 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: z return

z return

I'm using v2. how do i make the tool retract to the top of a part when i'm contouring? it keeps wanting to rapid through the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde_06 View Post
    I'm using v2. how do i make the tool retract to the top of a part when i'm contouring? it keeps wanting to rapid through the part.
    V2....?

Where is your "Z Zero" plane, top of your part or bottom? Are you using the "World Coordinates System" or "Construction View"....?

surfcam velocity 2. my z zero plane is top. and i believe i'm using world. but for some reason it just decided to retract to my z plain. i don't believe i changed anything so i'm not sure why it would have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde_06 View Post
    Could be a couple of things.... There are 2 different planes, one is a Rapid Plane, And the other is a plunge clearance, usually Rapid Plane is set to 1.0 and plunge is .100, if that doesn't help change your rapid plane to Z10. and plunge to Z5.0 and see what happens. also if you are verifying be sure your stock model is correct, should be and 0 and -1.0 in your Z parameters or how ever thick your stock is. If this doesn't help let me know

ok its doing it. this is what i'm seeing and i didn't change anything for the different lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails untitled.JPG  

I can't tell from your picture what's going on but:
    The rapid Plane will be calculated from Z Zero plane regardless of the geometry picked. So if the material is 2” above the Z Zero and the rapid is set to 1”, you’re going to rapid through the material. Set the Rapid to 3” if the material is 2” above the Z Zero plane for example.

Under Tools>Options>NC Defaults there is an option to have Surfcam calculate the Rapid plane but I don’t trust it.

There's a tab on each sequence that controls "feed between" distance. I can't get on the system right now, but it's the far right tab when you have the sequence open of editing.
    The "feed between" distance needs to exceed the distance between retract and plunge passes or the software makes a direct path.

mfgbydesign, you may have something there. Also there is a setting to that will make the feed between plunge, feed or rapid. It’s under 2 Axis Options. I would try resetting this page to the default.

changing the "feed between" worked. thanks for all the help guys!!!