586,061 active members*
4,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Couple of questions on a TC-2

I am looking at a 1998 TC2 with Heidenhain 370 control. It is a bit hard to find information about some parts of it:

What is the stated positioning accuracy of these machines? 0.0001? 0.0002?
    Are the axis and spindle drives and motors Taskawa? Are they still available/repairable?
    Was rigid tapping standard on these machines?
    I have read about potential problems with the tool changer gearbox. Any other areas to watch?
    I assume these are linear slideways? How much wear might be expected, 12 years old now? What does one do with worn linear slideways? Replace? Junk machine?
    Anything else (problems, desirable options, etc) to ask about?
    Is there some place to get educated on the specs, lineage, history of BPT VMCs in this era?

Thanks in advance for any information offered.

positioning step would be .0001, accuracy something less

heidenhains come with rigid tapping

wear would be uhhhh, what it is. no way of knowing

swarf_rat

I think you mean Yaskawa, for the drives & motors, they can be repaired & some are still available new, The tool changer gearbox can be a problem, but they are available as well, Linear rails can be replaced, I have those in stock
    Mactec54

Yes, the Heidenhain would have positioning steps to 0.0001 (actually 0.001 mm I guess) and also rigid tapping. But the spindle etc must be set up for it as well. I assume most or all of these were? I ask about the "stated" or "claimed" accuracy, realizing that at lot of things - including age and wear - have an effect. Most of the VMC of this vintage seem to claim something like 0.0001 repeatability and 0.0002 accuracy, but I have looked at some that only claimed 0.0002 and 0.0004. At 10 years old that might start to look like the fat part of a thousandth.

One more question I thought of: how much air does this machine use? Is it just for tool changes or does it have an air/oil spindle that is leaking all the time?

Thanks again for any responses.

swarf_rat

The accuracy of the machine does not change with the age of the machine,only if it is worn out, We have some of these machines that are just like new, & just sold a TC3 that was new

With the spindle they had different spindles, some have air/oil & lower speed spindles have grease
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    swarf_rat

The accuracy of the machine does not change with the age of the machine,only if it is worn out, We have some of these machines that are just like new, & just sold a TC3 that was new

With the spindle they had different spindles, some have air/oil & lower speed spindles have grease
    Thanks for that. I have not seen the machine in person yet, claimed to be in better than good condition. If one must change the linear rails in a machine like this, is it a bolt-in job, or is there more complex scraping/aligning involved? Never had a linear guideway machine. The spindle is 8000 rpm, two speed gearbox means I guess it is gear driven. Would that be a greased or air/oiled spindle? If air any idea how much? Are these spindles any more complicated that normal to rebuild?

From other sources is looks like the claimed accuracy is +/- 0.00015 repeatability and +/- 0.00025 accuracy, not too bad.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to do diligence so I know what I am getting into and what the worst cases are. You have a business parts/servicing these? How do I find you?

Thanks again.

swarf_rat

The linear rail replacement is almost unbolt & replace, the Z is the hardest to do, but can be done one at a time

The spindle is grease & is sealed the air the spindle has is for cooling about 10lbs

The spindle is not a easy rebuild & is more complicated than normal

We have most parts for these machines, But nothing for the Heidenhain 370 control part
    Some Heidenhain encoders only
    Mactec54

OK, thanks again. The Heidenhain I am familiar with and is supported by HH in Chicago. Do you have a guess on how many CFM air the spindle is going to use and also a rough guess on a spindle rebuild?

Also, how do I find you?