586,437 active members*
3,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Deciding between Fryer and Sharp Vertical CNC

Deciding between Fryer and Sharp Vertical CNC

I am looking for a smaller vertical CNC to run parts in a 6" Kurt vise and nothing else. While our Cincinnati Sabre 1250 and Fadal 4020 are capable of doing this, we spend too much time changing from vise to fixture to vise and would like to get a dedicated CNC for vise parts only.

95% of what we run is aluminum, so a 10k spindle is a must. Additionally, because of the aluminum, a super strong and rigid machine is not necessary.

I am looking at a Sharp SV-2412S or Fryer MC-10, because that is what the rep sells, but can not find much info about Fryer. There isn't a Fryer sub-forum here to look at.

There is an obvious size difference between these machines and the 12" Y on the Sharp should be enough for vise parts, but just looking at something else for comparison.

I read many posts in the Sharp forum and most everything I read seems positive.

So, who has experience with either of these machines, (or other brands) using them this way?

I am open to other reliable machine brands and appreciate any input.

Jim

I first saw Fryer at Westec around 10 years ago, so we know they've been around that long anyway. They had a CNC/manual lathe on display, with an odd sort of control on it. Looked to me like they were somewhat in their infancy, but were trying to build a solid product.

My experience with Sharp is summed up as cheap chinese knock off. Not impressed at all, having had access to both a manual Bridgeport knock-off mill and a surface grinder. Just not impressed. Maybe they've gotten better in the 15 years since.... I don't know.

You might consider a small Haas mill too. The support for them has gotten better, and it should be easier to find operators already skilled at programming/running a Haas than the Fryer. Nothing against the Fryer, just an unknown to me. A friend of mine has several Haas mills, and just bought a chucker from them. He's makin' money...and after all...that's what counts!

I note the Fryer has on-the-machine programming. There's plusses and minuses to that.... If you don't have SomethingCAM, or run short and simple jobs, it's the way to go. It also depends on who's doing the programming.

For my money, I'd keep looking even if I did consider the Fryer as a candidate.

Fryer Machine Systems Inc. - CNC toolroom lathes milling machines machining centers

Sharp manual stuff isn't bad, but id stay away from both those on CNC. I second the HAAS for aluminum. You'll at least be able to get parts for the next 10 years. Don't forget to get a spindle cooler if your running 10K all the time. It will save you $$ in the long run.

Looking for other opinions......
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnczon...g_centers.html

Fryer Machines - CNC Professional Forums

..One of the videos I saw looks like the Fryer was using the same toolchanger as your 4020.. (I know, I have one) ...

Thank you for the replies.

Seems like I should take a look at the small Haas units as well.

The company next to us has a Haas and uses it solely for graphite machining. They have had a multitude of problems with the unit. I understand that graphite is nasty and gets everywhere in the machine, not to mention that it is conductive. Most likely their application is not typical of a chip machining operation.

I had originally discounted Haas because of their experience, but will now give them a look.

Fizzissist, i looked at those links in your post and see that Fryer05 is happy with their MC-10. They are still in the mix then.

Both of our machines have the carousel type tool changer and while they are slower than the arm style, they are reliable. Speedy tool changes are not critical as we don't run high production volumes and the machines don't normally run even 40 hrs a week.

As for the Sharp, i will be going to look at one in an active shop. They just bought four new ones, according to the rep, to support their older existing ones, so hopefully i can get a good read from this group.

Underthetire, we have the complete spindle/machine cooler system on the Fadal as well as the spindle air/oil mist system and it really keeps the machine dimensionally stable at any temperature. It is definitely a worthwhile option.

Thank you for the help. Keep it coming. I forgot to mention that it has been 4-1/2 years since we bought our Fadal, so I haven't followed the Vertical CNC market since then. There are many new choices out there.

Jim