586,110 active members*
3,249 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tangential knife for my homemmade CNC

I just finalize my new CNC router and now I would like to add option of 4th AXIS and adding tangential knife for cutting thicker materials.
    I have Gecko drive G540 and use MACH3.
    Please if there is someone who can help me to build and set up tangential knife that will be awesome. I will need links where to buy all necessary items.
    Here is a link of the example I need:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY3h352Lhn4]CNC tangential cutting Cardboard with stepper motor rotating knife - YouTube[/ame]

Nobody?

I think all you need is a knife holder and a stepper motor.

Quote Originally Posted by tsamael View Post
    I just finalize my new CNC router and now I would like to add option of 4th AXIS and adding tangential knife for cutting thicker materials.
    I have Gecko drive G540 and use MACH3.
    Please if there is someone who can help me to build and set up tangential knife that will be awesome. I will need links where to buy all necessary items.
    Here is a link of the example I need:

CNC tangential cutting Cardboard with stepper motor rotating knife - YouTube

all the information is below the video you posted, did you look at this? Styrene - Rockcliff CNC Machine Forum

I saw the post, but I see they added rockliff board. I do not have those. I only have gecko driver. So my question is do I need to just add 4th stepper motor via A-axes and change the setting in MACH3?

Sounds too simple to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tsamael View Post
    I saw the post, but I see they added rockliff board. I do not have those. I only have gecko driver. So my question is do I need to just add 4th stepper motor via A-axes and change the setting in MACH3?

Sounds too simple to me.
    gecko is fine use a-axis and setup Mach3 like rockcliff instructions, that's it simple

Vinyl cutter

What you want to do seems very similar to a vinyl cutter (Roland seems a popular brand). I have a very small hobby machine by different maker (in the back of a closet someplace, so I can't readily tell you the marque). These machines appear to use a passively rotating knife blade. Quick and easy, no fourth axis controller, no stepper. I think the trick is to have the cutting tip a little offset from the center axis of a pivot held in the tool holder.

Look here:

New CNC Drag Knife, and a very large Cast Iron Part « Milling Around

Tormach resells it. I think they name the manufacture somewhere. It will give you an idea of how they work. No 4th needed.

tangential cutting

Yes, as Mark mentioned you can add up to 6 axis's per port, any
    single step and direction driver, can be added to the G540,

Also, powered tangential cutting will cut much deeper and will cut sharper inside corners, because the knife can be lifted and repositioned

We sell a drag knife's but as mentioned you can only cut about 0.030" deep and your going to get a slight radius on both inside and outside corners cutting, mainly made for thinner materials, our knife uses an adjustable pressure foot Rockcliff Drag Knife

Quote Originally Posted by Markwind View Post
    all the information is below the video you posted, did you look at this? Styrene - Rockcliff CNC Machine Forum
    Rockcliff Machine Inc.
    http://www.rockcliffmachine.com