586,060 active members*
4,221 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > 3d art in Sprutcam.

3d art in Sprutcam.

This is a pretty general question. Hopefully somebody here can give me some pointers.

Currently I am designing in Alibre 2011, and using SprutCAM to make my toolpaths.

I am looking for a way to import art into my models. I would like to be able to draw a picture, scan it, and convert it into a 3D surface that I can then machine, creating etchings and bas relief sculpture on my parts.

I know that MasterCAM can do this, but it's out of my price range.

What other software can accomplish this? Ideally, I'd like something that works with my existing CAD and CAM software.

Frederic

Take a look at this thread on the Alibre company-supported forum:

Alibre • View topic - Major import bug

Is that what you are trying to do?

You might also look into Vectric, specifically PhotoVCarve.

Vectric - CNC Software Solutions - Wood Carving - Engraving - Signmaking - Routing - Machining

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Take a look at this thread on the Alibre company-supported forum:

Alibre • View topic - Major import bug
    Thanks for the reply.

This is rapidly getting away from a SprutCAM discussion, so if an admin wants to move this thread to a different forum, I have no objection. I wasn't quite sure where to post this in the first place.

Yes, that's the sort of work I want to do. Ideally, I would like to be able to join the 3D art to my model. This can happen either in Alibre or in SprutCAM. If I can get the art to output in an .iges format, then I can import it into Sprut and use transforms to position it on a part that was made in Alibre.

Of course, the best solution would be an Alibre plugin, so that my parametric model and my art are combined in a single piece of design software. But I'm more worried about results than technique, so I'll take whatever works.

The Vectric stuff looks interesting, but it does produce g-code directly, which will make it difficult to align art onto a complex shape.

I'm also going to give Rhino a try.

Frederic

MeshCAM? http://www.grzsoftware.com/

Affordable and oriented to 3D and art, not machinists.

Dave

Do you have a graphical example of what you are trying to do?

I was thinking photos at first, but on re-reading the original post it occurs that you could be talking about line art or something else. A sample would really help.

I'd like to be able to handle both line drawings and photographs.

I tried Rhino today, and got decent results. I've attached a screenshot from the program to show what I'm trying to do.

I don't plan to engrave stamps. I just had one handy and scanned it for a quick test.

Rhino looks like a very good option, but I'm not thrilled about the idea of buying a second CAD/CAM/Art package. And I don't know how well it will integrate with my SprutCAM/Alibre designed parts. I still need to give MeshCAM and Vectric a try.

Cheers,
    Frederic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stamp.JPG  

You should look at BobCAD with BobArt. Will do exactly what you are looking for.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    I'd like to be able to handle both line drawings and photographs.

I tried Rhino today, and got decent results. I've attached a screenshot from the program to show what I'm trying to do.
    I've not worked with any software that will handle images like that so can't offer any advice based on experience. Good luck with Rhino - I've heard that is a good product.

CamBam..
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

i don't make it a habit of pushing my products on the forum but
    microcarve v4 works good for creating toolpaths from images , it will also save an stl so that it can be imported into another job , i sell it on my site and for a while am flogging it on ebay for 28.99 which is dirt cheap , if your interested then i can be contacted on the cnctoybox site and I'll sell it at the ebay price
    or you can check it out at my other site Home
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Try this:
    Open Source CNC Toolpathing Workflow

inkscape and gimp2 are all I really got out of the video but its all free!
    I used inkscape to make several models of logos that I keep in my models folder in SC and use for 2D conturing designs onto parts.