586,113 active members*
3,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > 4th Axis Milling Intro!

4th Axis Milling Intro!

Hi All,

We run a Haas VF2 SS with Mastercam X5 as our CAM software. I am proficient with the machine and the software in 3-axes, however I would like to get the ball rolling with the 4th-axis.

I have been searching this forum as well as google for some answers, but the fact is, I don't know where to start! Here start my questions:

1) Do I need to activate the axis settings somewhere in the software?

2) For the part I am making, I have some toolpaths on the standard TOP view, so no rotary movement at first, but then I need it to move 180 degrees, then start on some other toolpaths. I believe that if I get this far, I can swim around and find my way. Question is, how do you make the 4th-axis do nothing for a few paths, turn 180 degrees, then continue with the rest of the toolpaths?

I am getting more fond of this website every day! (Check my online time, haha) Any help would be appreciated by this noob! :wee:

MNG

Your gonna need to use the WCS (work coordinate system) to set up your ToolPlanes.

Your asking for a lot on an internet forum, but if need be I can prolly get the ball rolling for you.....

Easiest way I think is just by Rotate planes button under planes tab at the bottom of MC screen.

1) Do I need to activate the axis settings somewhere in the software?
    Your CNC Machine configuration ( MMD file ) needs to have the components added in the correct place to enable that axis address to be output in your NC code

2) For the part I am making, I have some toolpaths on the standard TOP view, so no rotary movement at first, but then I need it to move 180 degrees, then start on some other toolpaths. I believe that if I get this far, I can swim around and find my way. Question is, how do you make the 4th-axis do nothing for a few paths, turn 180 degrees, then continue with the rest of the toolpaths?
    1st item - is that the WCS is the same for ALL operations for that particular setup
    2nd item - the T & C planes control the relationship outputs of the axes in respect ot the selected WCS, so these are very critical to get correct code

NOTE.... the views you create or select MUST be legal moves capable of the machine moving any axes starting from your selected WCS, and each view origin should be set correctly in respect to the WCS.
    Altering the Work Offset on each view gives the opportunity to have different co-ordinated systems output ie -1= G54, 0=G54, 1=G55

ie the BACK & BOTTOM views are NOT legal views if you have a standard 4th axis on the X axis , they are rotated 180° around Z. They WILL have to be created

Your views are as seen by the tool from Z+ looking in the Z- direction, basically looking from down onto the part from the TOP
    ( the better posts take care of many issues like this, but it is better to start on the right foot, as the XYZ screen co-ords in backplot & Verify are replicated to the NC code, & you can fault find a bit easier )