586,103 active members*
3,444 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Right Paltform (Machine) Different Use!

Right Paltform (Machine) Different Use!

I'm considering the build of a 30x20 gantry to draw the time track on an 8 day long case clock dial as shown in the attached picture. Yes, not quite wood working but the machine is very close to what might work for me so I thought I would see if anyone has advice on such an application. While I have tried to purchase the Keling KL-4350, I would need to modify it to get more travel and the 2 times I've decided to drop the dime they were out of stock which lead to this thread.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions and ideas in regard to this idea. The basic difference is that I would be using drafting pens with 0.3mm and 0.7mm tips. I would need to fabricate a mount for the pen that would allow it to float but have enough pressure to properly draw and follow minor Z contours (probably 20 thousands and less). The dial surface would be an oil based paint.

Best Regards.

Carl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dial Painting v1.jpg  

If all your wanting to do is use a pen you could do it fairly cheap because rigidity is not really needed. You could build it out of mdf and un supported rail. Or get some of this makerslide extrusion. MAKERSLIDE – CHANGING THE WAY MACHINES ARE BUILT « Maker Masters

Have you considered using an old style pen plotter? I took a quick look on ebay and found this: HP 7470A Desktop Wide Format 2 Pen Plotter G | eBay