586,070 active members*
3,487 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Solidworks file conversion?

Due to financial issues, my Gibbs (solids import) is not up to date. I have a need (occasionally) to convert Solidworks files into something my Gibbs version can read. Are there any free conversion options out there? My Gibbs is 2007 (v8.5.32).

Thanks

Cad file format

Convert Solidworks file to ISO industry standard STEP file
    STEP type 214 is usually readable by most CAD programs. The beauty of STEP is one CAD file can recreate thousands of individual part files, subassemblies in a big assembly. Basically one file can recreate a complex machine with many individual parts. STEP files can usually be compressed in a ZIP file. I have seen a 15mb Zip file uncompress to a 80mb STEP file that creates over 300 mb of over 500 part files.
    IGES file format is an older file format that can be used.
    Usually when a company uses only one type of CAD they sometimes forget how to work with the other 99.9% of the rest of the world.
    i have worked with many 30 year veteran Engineers that could not tell the difference between a Parasolid, IGES, or STEP file. Usually it was because they never got out of the office much and or did not work for many other companies before.

Is there a free tool for that?

Forget the STEP. Gibbs doesn't read it unless you purchase the very expensive option to do so. That import option handles ProE and several others, but I don't need that.

One of the things that chaps my behind with Gibbs. Other systems include a STEP reader for free, not them. I even talked with Bill Gibbs about it to no avail. Of course my reseller has the solution; throw more money at it

3dcontentcentral

Quote Originally Posted by Machining View Post
    Is there a free tool for that?
    Free 3D Models, Free CAD Models
    is a website for sharing 3D cad models. you could upload a Solidworks file and then come back and download it as a STEP file or other CAD file format.
    you have to remember when you upload the cad file everybody and anybody has access to it. And you cannot legally upload a CAD file unless you own it and are willing to give it free to the web site