586,035 active members*
3,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Chip removal from deep pockets?

Chip removal from deep pockets?

I am working on a project that requires me to mill out a pocket 1.75" deep. My benchtop mill has a flood cooling system on it, no compressed air. What is the best option for removing the chips from the deep pocket?

I'll be taking 0.08 deep steps running at 24 ipm.

id use a shopvac with one of those small attachments that they make for car detailing.

The flood isnt clearing it out? What kind of flow are you running?

First, I'm a rookie here and just learning how to use this mini-mill. I have not started cutting the part yet, so I don't know if the flood will work. I just built the closed loop flood system using a fish pond fountain pump from Lowe's. What I'm looking for is some advice on what works and what doesn't.

If I vacuum the chips, it will draw all my coolant into the shop vac.

Quote Originally Posted by cce1911 View Post
    First, I'm a rookie here and just learning how to use this mini-mill. I have not started cutting the part yet, so I don't know if the flood will work. I just built the closed loop flood system using a fish pond fountain pump from Lowe's. What I'm looking for is some advice on what works and what doesn't.

If I vacuum the chips, it will draw all my coolant into the shop vac.
    Hi there cce1911 bit of a rookie myself too......What material are you machining? You suggest a pocket what dimension is the pocket as there are a couple of different suggestions..... try this..... if your machining Aluminium and you're pocketing use the flood coolant, if you're machining Aluminium and Slot drilling try going down a couple of sizes in tool diameter and run parallel passes with no coolant and the chips will have a bit of room between the tool and the face not being cut to be sucked in to the Shop Vac... if you're cutting a pocket in steel use the flood coolant and if your machining a slot a suggestion is both the flood coolant and smaller diameter tool again......

:cheers:
    Eoin

Deep pocket....

If you are doing a deep pocketing op in aluminum and you have flood coolant, crank up the flow and try to adjust your nozzles to evacuate the chips the best you can. Sometimes one larger nozzle is better than two smaller ones. If you cannot get sufficient flow into the pocket with your current flood pump you might try rigging up a temporary air blast nozzle pointing down the side of the cutter into the pocket to evacuate the chips. Turn off the flood and run only air. You can also spray WD40 in manually while the cut is happening to get some fluid in there. You will have to adjust your feeds and speeds for the change from coolant to air and it will make a big mess unless you have a good enclosure but it will definitely pull the chips out. Best IMHO is a real heavy flood flow directed appropriately but if you do not have that air will suffice. Are you building a 1911? Peace and Happy Thanksgiving...

Pete

I'm cutting a 2" dia circle 1.75" deep in AL 6061. I've got a 2 flute HSS end-mill with 2" DOC. The flood system is pretty powerful and I do have the mini-mill in an enclosure so I don't throw chips all over my basement. I'll be sure to turn it up all the way to flush out the chips.

Pete, no I'm not building a 1911. Maybe one day I'll have the skills to try that, but until then I'll just enjoy the 3 that I have

A 2" circular pocket is large enough in diameter that you probably aren't going to get too many problems with evacuating chips. It's when you start getting into narrow slots close to the size of the cutter that things get interesting. I wouldn't be worried cutting that with my system and that's running dry with only an air blast. Pretty sure with flood you will be fine.
    LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by cce1911 View Post
    I'm cutting a 2" dia circle 1.75" deep in AL 6061. I've got a 2 flute HSS end-mill with 2" DOC. The flood system is pretty powerful...........

Yeah you'll have no worries, and good luck with the project....

:cheers:
    Eoin