586,655 active members*
3,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Waylube

Waylube

Our company is now playing with the thought of using raw coolant in the place of waylube. We run 14 machines off of a single tank colant system. All the waylube and hydraulic fluid gets into the system making them cycle out the collant more then they would like. They figure if the use raw coolant instead of waylube then they would only have to add water to the tank and be able to go longer without cycling out the coolant in the main tank. this would save money in buying way lube and save money by not having to replace the coolant. Im kinda stuck at the idea that raw coolant ins water soluable and will mix in and get washed away. Therefore not really doing its job.

Thoughts??

I think you should get stuck on the idea that raw coolant and waylube have totally different properties are are intended for totally different applications.

The way to deall with waylube and hydraulic oil contaminating the coolant is to install something like this on the central coolant system:

Keller Products, Inc.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Your company's bean counters have come up with this idea, not someone who knows the difference between what way lube is, and is for, and what coolant is, and is for.

If it were so simple, stoopid, and cheap, machinists would have been doing this years ago. Way lube contains no waxes, among other things. Coolant contains lots of things.

If someone comes up with a coolant you can use for both, they're gonna get filthy rich and the skimmer/separator companies will be hurtin'.

Maybe also think about putting way lube in the coolant system, then everything will be well lubricated.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Maybe also think about putting way lube in the coolant system, then everything will be well lubricated.

Matt
    I am so stealing this lol.

from another forum

"Soluble oils CAN work the problems are though if any water or mixed coolant gets into lubricator it will cause a GEL which will CLOG lines etc.

Also if any copper or aluminium parts in lube system the straight un diluted soluble can also corrode them, So it ALL iron or steel parts and NO water/coolant will ever get into system then give it a try.

But since soluble will wash off, the lube system should really replace it as fast as washed off slideways. Also some solubles have "suspended" additives like biocides or anti foam and as a suspended additive they will perhaps clog any filters or screens in line so be aware of that."

This is probly why we have already tested it on two machine and both filters got clogged and stopped pumping any oil.

Also i read the metal cutting oils help promote metal to metal contact. Where Wayoil works to prevent it. Any thoughts on this?

If you have tested the idea on two machines and got clogged filters why are you pursuing it further?

Here is another test. Take a small shallow container with about 2mm depth of raw coolant and just let it sit in a heated room. Many coolants that are intended to be mixed with water actually contain some water in their original raw form. When this water evaporates off the raw coolant can turn into a very thick gummy residue or even into a hard varnish-like form. I am pretty sure you could destroy ball screws and linear guides by having this form in them. I also think that spindle bearings would be a little unhappy.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I seem like the 1 guy who thinks its a bad idea and its not my call. Im definitly going to do that test tho.
    In the lube tanks that have the raw coolant you can see like condensation on the inside of the upper half of the tank.

That's about the worst thing I've ever....

Typical ballscrew, 2500 plus labor and bearings 3500
    Typical turcite replacement and scraping. 8000
    Typical linear guide replacement 10000

Saving 50 bucks in way oil, priceless!

Ref: post #9, Well said.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    That's about the worst thing I've ever....

Typical ballscrew, 2500 plus labor and bearings 3500
    Typical turcite replacement and scraping. 8000
    Typical linear guide replacement 10000

Saving 50 bucks in way oil, priceless!
    ROFLMAO!!!!!:cheers:

If showing the bean counters THIS doesn't convince them, considering it comes from people with experience in the matter, then they deserve the consequences!!

let them do it , that way you wil have brand new or rebuilt machine to use.

Thanks for all the responces. I tried the test with a little coolant in a container. Went down in volume looks thicker but no residue. Anymore comment would be appreciated. Also if any1 has experiance doing this or any more facts please let me know. thanks.

it happened

Hate to say it but it has happened. All 14 machines have been changed from using waylube to raw coolant. Apparently its still the greatest idea since sliced bread.
    Chemkool 4002-cfc is now our new waylube.

Stay tuned for the update:

All 14 machines down for rebuild...

Stay tuned for the update:

All 14 machines down for rebuild...
    Going back to waylube. The lubrication pumps started pumping ALOT and some not at all. Some machines having to fill up the tank 3 times in a 12 hour shift. Now the pumps are needing worked on and replaced. Had some bigger maintainance issure but dont think they could or couldnt be directly blamed on the waylube.
    Just thought I would give an update

Yup, not just pumps that need replacement now. If a Waylube pump starts pumping excessive Waylube, it's the metering units that are now stuck open. That's probably a grand per machine.

Maybe the coolant finally cleared out all the waylube and so it started pumping faster due to the lower viscosity.

Good luck with that....

Maybe the coolant finally cleared out all the waylube and so it started pumping faster due to the lower viscosity.

Good luck with that....
    That's not how high pressure Waylube systems work. Pump starts, fills up small chambers in the dester units(metering units), pressure rises to about 200 psi closing the valves in the metering units. Pump stops, metering units push small amounts of oil (like .16 cc) to the axis. When the metering units go, they won't close all the way, so the pump just keeps pushing oil pass them. 99% of excessive Waylube consumption are either a broken high pressure line(most machines will give you a pressure alarm) or the manifolds are stuck. I used to do at least one machine a month because of this. If you service the Waylube tank and filter every year like recommended, this can be avoided for quite a few years, but eventually it will need to be done. Coolant as Waylube has probably jelled up in the manifolds, or swelled up the rubber seals on the plungers.