586,032 active members*
2,886 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How can I make tool cutting faster

I drew a real simple part and in simulation it says it will take two hours. How can I speed up the feed rate so it will cut it in 15 min or less even. I've tried all kinds of different tooling and nothing helps the speed of the cutting. Can anyone help me out with this, thank you.

metal removal rate

you do not give enough info. like are you using a mill, lathe, etc?
    sometimes a smaller diameter end mill is faster because it turns at a higher rpm and thus feed is faster but the limit on depth of cut is important as too much depth of cut can break an end mill
    a end mill with more flutes in general can be used with a higher feed rate
    carbide end mills can be run at a higher rpm and feed
    a roughing end mill can take a higher depth of cut and feed usually

Here is more info. I have and 3axis mill 2x4 ft. with 305oz. steppers. I'm cutting a small piece 1in. x2in. 1/8in. tall with a spline curve with a fillet all the way around. It's a flat 1/8in. stock of wood. I'm using a 3/16in. end mill carbide bit with two flutes. this is my first piece cutting with home made cnc router. I guess I assumed it would cut it out in fifteen min. Is two hours normal for this kind of piece. Is there any other info I left out. Thank you.

cutting parameters

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer myers View Post
    Here is more info. I have and 3axis mill 2x4 ft. with 305oz. steppers. I'm cutting a small piece 1in. x2in. 1/8in. tall with a spline curve with a fillet all the way around. It's a flat 1/8in. stock of wood. I'm using a 3/16in. end mill carbide bit with two flutes. this is my first piece cutting with home made cnc router. I guess I assumed it would cut it out in fifteen min. Is two hours normal for this kind of piece. Is there any other info I left out. Thank you.
    parameters
    end mill carbide
    2 flute
    0.6" length sticking out
    0.1875" diameter
    cutting soft material of MR 10 (10 cubic inches per min per hp), wood is usually a MR much higher than 10, more like 50 - 100
    SFPM 750 (slow for carbide)
    RPM 15,280
    chip thickness 0.0032"
    Feed 96.5 ipm
    DOC 0.075" (depth of cut)
    width of cut 0.1875
    MRR metal removal rate 1.35 cubic inches per min
    estimated hp 0.14
    end force on cutter 6 lbs
    .... with wood you might want a even higher rpm at 100 ipm so chip thickness is thinner. the depth of cut with wood can easily be more than 0.075", you probably could easily take a 0.200" DOC

I don't really understand all these parameters but I'll look in to it thank you. One thing I do know is when I change the feed rate to the max of 6000 it really speeds it up and with some other cutting methods applied I can cut with simulation at about 14 min. Thank you for your help.

Dumb question, but are you sure that the part is scaled properly? If the part was drawn in the metric system and Solidcam is working in inches, then things will get weird. There is no way it should take that long.