586,043 active members*
3,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pneumatic Drawbar Plans

Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I am now offering DIY plans for a pneumatic drawbar setup. You can adapt this to pretty much any machine.

Also offering a hardware kit with all the essentials for completing the project.

Please visit the link for more info.

Pneumatic Drawbar Plans

Thanks

Very nice work! Just trying to justify if my little BF16 is worth doing it!

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

It's always worth it

What kind of spindle that works? Tormach only work for R8. Is yours for BT30 or R8 or ER 25 or etc?

This not a power drawbar, it is a pneumatic draw bar. You will need to use tooling that requires a drawbar to hold the tool in the spindle.

So this one will rotate the drawbar, not working up and down with gripper.

You got it. It can be virtually adapted to any machine that uses a drawbar. Given you have the space.

ehhhh you have to manually push it down and throw a switch, why not just leave the butterly switch on it. i guess it cost a lot less since that part is pretty cheap at harbor freight but id rather have one that is fully auto.

nice enclosure though, cant wait til i move so i can make me one up similar to that

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy0203 View Post
    ehhhh you have to manually push it down and throw a switch, why not just leave the butterly switch on it. i guess it cost a lot less since that part is pretty cheap at harbor freight but id rather have one that is fully auto.

nice enclosure though, cant wait til i move so i can make me one up similar to that
    It IS fully auto....

is it coupled to the drawbar or is there something im missing as to how it compresses it to go down onto the drawbar?

do you have a video of it in operation

Does your design work with an internal cylinder to force it down on the drawbar?

So does it have some kind of (variable?) torque setting or clutch mechanism in it's design, to allow for pulling the chuck up as it's tightened so as not to over tighten it?

Really nice looking one you've made by the way! Videos of it in action?

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    So does it have some kind of (variable?) torque setting or clutch mechanism in it's design, to allow for pulling the chuck up as it's tightened so as not to over tighten it?

Really nice looking one you've made by the way! Videos of it in action?

cheers,
    Ian
    The impact that is used with this setup has 8 adjustable torque settings built right in, with a max of 75ft/lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    It IS fully auto....
    Correct.

The drawbar is not coupled. When you select the direction, either tool in or tool out, simultaneously the wrench spins either CW or CCW and moves downward towards the drawbar. When you release the DCV, the spring moves the wrench back up.

I'm going to get a video up soon, to clear up the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleper1 View Post
    Correct.

The drawbar is not coupled. When you select the direction, either tool in or tool out, simultaneously the wrench spins either CW or CCW and moves downward towards the drawbar. When you release the DCV, the spring moves the wrench back up.

I'm going to get a video up soon, to clear up the confusion.
    i guess thats part of the design you cant see, the automatically going down without having to push it

hmm, look to be ripoff of the kurt power drawbar, bet they wouldn't be happy with someone selling plans for their idea.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONM-EJGQbLw]Kurt Power Drawbar NIK 042610.flv - YouTube[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by chinli View Post
    hmm, look to be ripoff of the kurt power drawbar, bet they wouldn't be happy with someone selling plans for their idea.
    Kurt Power Drawbar NIK 042610.flv - YouTube
    uh oh, that does look exactly the same.

I dunno, given they (along with many others) are based on the same core component, the Harbor Freight Central Pneumatic 37730, I don't really see how many different ways you could design the air valves/connectors and spring mechanism, as these are basic interfacing requirements for the third party unit to function?

To my thinking, I have seen many, many, cases like this (especially here) where similar needs simply end up with similar results, to suit those needs when like minded people are designing them. If Kurt patented it, that would be a different matter, but I strongly suspect their own design would likely be based or at least be similar to, a multitude of other designs.

cheers,
    Ian

It's not exactly the same. In fact it's quite different. It uses the same principles of operation because I designed mine around that concept, but it is NOT a direct copy. When I designed mine, I was planning on using it on my machine, but decided to go a different route. When people seen this I began to get many requests/questions if I was going to produce them to be sold. I have no intention to produce them as a pneumatic drawbar package but instead put together a nice package of CAD files for people who are interested and capable of making one on their own.

Most of all the industrial style pneumatic drawbars that you can buy use the same principle of operation as the one posted above. They may not all look the same but they operate in the exact same way. I admired the clean look of the Kurt and that is why I designed mine of a similar style.

Once you understand it's operation, it could be adapted to any pneumatic drawbar design, because it's really quite simple.

That's all.