586,358 active members*
3,494 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > Sources for used continuous duty isolation transformers? (240 to 120)

Sources for used continuous duty isolation transformers? (240 to 120)

I'm the Yank moving down under next year, and still looking into all the issues in trying to bring as much of my shop as possible. Most of my power tools outside of the big machines, are brush motors, or if induction motors, seldom run for more than a minute or two, so not worried about overheating.

However in a discussion elsewhere, I was asking about trying to run my small heat treat furnace and hand held spot welder via step down transformer. Seems to be not quite a firm consensus on the requirements, but it sure does seem that a 60Hz transformer is likely to get rather hot running on 50Hz.

So... anyone know of likely sources for industrial continuous duty step down center tap transformers, isolation not autotransformers. Looking to get 120v out at 20 amps, or around 2400va. Used is preferred. Young, Wagga Wagga, and Canberra area will be within a couple hours drive. Probably going to set up several of these in the shop, one per workbench and maybe one on wheels. With this setup, the shop can be wired native, and I'll convert at point of use.

Not looking to buy at the moment. I'll be starting to close down my business about this time next year. coming in on a tourist visa, and converting to onshore spousal visa. I'll leave my stuff here in a container until I know I'm good to go with my permanent residency. But trying to have as many things lined up well in advance as possible, so that if I run into issues, I still have time to investigate alternatives.
    Potential sources for used, and what I might expect to pay would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Jon

I am not sure if they use the job site transformers down under as they do in the UK, these are 240/120 which may be a possibility.
    Why do you need centre tapped though?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I am not sure if they use the job site transformers down under as they do in the UK, these are 240/120 which may be a possibility.
    Why do you need centre tapped though?
    Al.
    I started my questioning in rec.crafts.metalworking, and several folks there told me that's what I need. I believe it has to due with ending up with Line, Neutral, and Ground. I'll have a licensed electrician do the connections. I can do point to point wiring, but I have to know where the proper points are, and with transformers, I don't.

Not sure why they told you that?
    Does anyone actually post a metalworking question there anymore?
    They probably were thinking of the N.A. C.T. system.
    You can ground one side of a 120v single secondary transformer for a neutral if you wish.
    It is done here all the time anyway.
    The Aussie system uses a single 240v supply with one side grounded for neutral (no centre tap neutral).
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Not sure why they told you that?
    Does anyone actually post a metalworking question there anymore?
    They probably were thinking of the N.A. C.T. system.
    You can ground one side of a 120v single secondary transformer for a neutral if you wish.
    It is done here all the time anyway.
    The Aussie system uses a single 240v supply with one side grounded for neutral (no centre tap neutral).
    Al.
    Well since I spent the time to bulk up my kill file, there's a lot fewer posts, but the signal to noise ratio has improved immensely!

What I need to settle is that I can get 110v there, reliably and hopefully, fairly inexpensively. And to know exactly what to ask for when I get there.
    Last thing I want to do is spend $14k moving my shop and find I really can't run my stuff after all. Well, I know that's not going to be the case, but still, I want to know what I'll be getting into before I get there. And have some idea what it'll cost me. It's starting to sound a lot more doable than I first thought.

My first idea was to bring over a large generator, less motor. Build a stand to hold it and a native 50Hz motor, using pulleys to drive the generator at the proper speed. But, lot of expense and complexity, and I'd have to run a large motor to use any of my 110 stuff. With power costs there climbing, that's not very attractive. So I think I'm on the right track.
    Will be back visiting in March, and this time I'm going to find a local sparkie and bribe him with lunch and a beer or two if I have to, to get some final answers.

Thanks for the input, comments and critiques always welcomed.

I've

Personally I don't think you would have a problem if you were to take US 60hz transformers with you if you have them.
    I could see it if you were running them at their maximum rated Kva.
    Anyway, I am sure they have a way of supplying you with 120v 1ph, especially that small a demand.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hi Jon, I have a transformer, rated at 240volts primary, 120 volts secondary and 50 amps capacity that I don't have a use for anymore, as I bought it to power a KO Lee tool & cutter grinder from the States, running the head motor which is 110 volt at 4 amps abouts......it's a big mother, and weighs about 70 or 80 lbs.

You can have it for $100 which is what I paid for it, but I live in Melborne, so some courier fees would apply if further afield.

It's been under the bench for the last 2 years unused, although second hand, and the previous owner bought it to power his whole house of 110 volt equipment he bought back fronm the States when he was job transferred, so I'm not in too much of a hurry to sell it, just need to make room for my other "toys"....LOL.
    Ian.