586,117 active members*
3,301 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Uploading & Downloading files

Uploading & Downloading files

We have an old Fadal VMC20 with a CNC88 control and have always done our uploading & downloading using Fadal Assist on a Win XP 32 bit machine. Recently our IT dept. upgraded our PC's to Win7 64 bit machines and Assist no longer works. We use GibbsCAM and it has communication software but we cannot get it to work.

We can upload a program to the machine using the software but it comes into the control in one long string rather than being broken up into the normal lines of code. There aren't a lot of options to change (baud, parity, data bits, stop bits, handshake, port and end of block). I've tried changing the end of block to the various options provided (LF, CR, LF+CR, CR+LF, LF+CR+CR) without any success. There is a User EOB option, does anyone know if there is a special EOB character required?

The only other settings that can be changed are Special Beginning and End of File (currently blank) and Line and Char Delay Specifications (currently both set at 0).

I don't know much about communications between the PC & control so I'm making an assumption that since everything worked before on our old PC and we can at least get data to transfer to the machine using Gibbs and the new PC that the hardware from the back of the PC to the machine is OK and it's just a matter of finding the correct settings to make everything work again.

a

win 7 pro has an "XP" mode that you could use to run assist inside.
    I use NC Fadal (with my HS control) but have not tried it with Win7 yet.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

You could always set up a virtual computer with the old windows not sure how but i seen it working

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroparts View Post
    We have an old Fadal VMC20 with a CNC88 control and have always done our uploading & downloading using Fadal Assist on a Win XP 32 bit machine. Recently our IT dept. upgraded our PC's to Win7 64 bit machines and Assist no longer works. We use GibbsCAM and it has communication software but we cannot get it to work.

We can upload a program to the machine using the software but it comes into the control in one long string rather than being broken up into the normal lines of code. There aren't a lot of options to change (baud, parity, data bits, stop bits, handshake, port and end of block). I've tried changing the end of block to the various options provided (LF, CR, LF+CR, CR+LF, LF+CR+CR) without any success. There is a User EOB option, does anyone know if there is a special EOB character required?

The only other settings that can be changed are Special Beginning and End of File (currently blank) and Line and Char Delay Specifications (currently both set at 0).

I don't know much about communications between the PC & control so I'm making an assumption that since everything worked before on our old PC and we can at least get data to transfer to the machine using Gibbs and the new PC that the hardware from the back of the PC to the machine is OK and it's just a matter of finding the correct settings to make everything work again.
    Hi, I am pretty sure it should use standard ASCII 10,13 for linefeed and CR.
    HAAS likes ; as EOB.

Try running your old programs in compatibility mode, RT click it's icon, click properties and select compatibility mode then select your old operating system.

HTH
    JS

Fadal Com

I reccomend you use Gibbs to send to your machines. You are already there making your programs.

In Gibbs go to settings, communciation and create a profile that matches your machine. Baud rate is the only thing I change from the factory settings in Gibbs.

Once it is set up you will be glad to communicate from inside your CAM package. I use win 7 64 bit