586,119 active members*
3,570 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

upgrading from g0704 conversion

I am about 99% sure i am going to get the IHCNC turnkey cnc mill. Still considering the tormach but not really sold on their tooling package (I used it on my converted g0704 will some success but im always worried about pull out). My thinking is i will be move confident with the 30 taper spindle and an air wrench power drawbar. I paid Tommy a visit at his shop - you cant appreciate how big those mill are until you stand next to one and look up (im 6'2").

One thing that i am really tossing around in my mind and looking for additional input on is the controller, servos and drives. Tommy is offering machmotion as an option. That is going to be about a $2500 upgrade. What do you get ... slick controller/computer bundled together with a mounting arm. Better servos and drives (TECO) and some custom mach3 screen - easy expansion and from what i hear outstanding customer support.

What do you loose ... $2500 ... encoders mounted on the servos not the screws (is belt stretch a concern?).

$2500 would buy a pretty impressive tooling package from maritool or a 4th axis and a smaller tooling collection... Still - if there is value there it is one time expense that i will have to live with for a long time.

Thoughts???

Hopefully if things go well i will be sending my deposit in 3 weeks and should get a machine by February. I know others have had an issue with slipped dates but during my conversations with Tommy i was convinced that those issues are in the past and shouldnt re-occur. Though there can always be issues with the delivery of machine from China.

In the meantime i will continue to get my garage/shop ready for delivery!

There was a machmotion machine at his shop that he was getting ready for delivery - A GREAT looking machine!!!!

machmotion control - IHCNC mill - overkill ???

any opinions would be appreciated... getting close to point in time when I am going to place my order. buyers remorse is a horrible thing was hoping someone might have some thoughts... pro or con?

In case you didn't know, Tormach does sell a 30-taper spindle.

Quote Originally Posted by dsdmax View Post
    any opinions would be appreciated... getting close to point in time when I am going to place my order. buyers remorse is a horrible thing was hoping someone might have some thoughts... pro or con?
    I'm very much "pro". I bought one this year. It's sitting in my garage waiting for the power to be run to it. It's awesome!

Dealing with Tom, Dave, and Mimi was a pleasure. Very competent, very nice people. They went out of their way to help and educate.

NMTB-30 spindle was a lttle scary at first. But I found a good vendor for tool holders. I now have an ER-40 collet chuck and a set of single-size holders (1/4, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4) sitting on my desk. Not much more expensive than an R8 tool holder, and look and feel a little bit more heavy, solid. The ER-40 collets are winging their way here from Vancuver, the mills order is going in today.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    In case you didn't know, Tormach does sell a 30-taper spindle.
    Yes - i know the 30 taper spindle is an option for the tormach ... that said - the selling feature there is TTS - if one decides that TTS is not for them (right or wrong - i still think pullout is an issue) then what is left in the comparison. steppers vs servos (plenty written about that argument) - i think i am leaning toward servos (though i dont have an osciliscope nor do i know how to use one so a little nervous about the tuning)

I think in the end - if you compare the tormach to the ihcnc there are only three considerations. work envelope, accuracy and belt vs. gear drive. Again - not going to beat the servo/stepper horse. rather - accuracy in the quality of the ways and the alignment between the column and bed. envelope - the ihcnc is the clear winner. quality of ways/alignment etc... havent read a thread that compared the two ... though neither appear perfect. Maybe that is part of what another 20k buys you if you went with a Prototrack or hurco bed mill (that and 3-4000 lbs off iron, etc, etc..). Belt/Gear: managing spindle rpm with Mach3 will be more challenging with the gear drive and rpm upgrades will be limited. That said i understand that to be a trade off where the gearing provides more torque for heavier cuts in hard metals. (i wonder if the machine has the rigidity to handle that 'advantage' or will there be column flex with a 1/2 end mill taking a max cut it steel???

I will say that the tormach is more visually appealing ... way nicer stand

Quote Originally Posted by brt View Post
    I'm very much "pro". I bought one this year. It's sitting in my garage waiting for the power to be run to it. It's awesome!

Dealing with Tom, Dave, and Mimi was a pleasure. Very competent, very nice people. They went out of their way to help and educate.

NMTB-30 spindle was a lttle scary at first. But I found a good vendor for tool holders. I now have an ER-40 collet chuck and a set of single-size holders (1/4, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4) sitting on my desk. Not much more expensive than an R8 tool holder, and look and feel a little bit more heavy, solid. The ER-40 collets are winging their way here from Vancuver, the mills order is going in today.
    brt - thanks!!! - judging for your picture ... i think Tommy talked about you during my visit... he mentioned someone was building model rockets !!! - though looking at that pic - looks more like an air to air missile!!!! That thing is HUGE - you must be on a first name bases with the FAA !!! What do you do with those things - besides scare the neighbors !!!!

BRT - what tool supplier are you using? I was thinking Maritool had very competitive pricing!!!