Quote Originally Posted by stewi View Post
I know, you write the software for you and some other hobby users. However, if you want to go after the big guys and commercial market, you need to be better than their software.
My thoughts on that is that it's better to pick a market segment and tailor the software to it.

So it would be better to make the software cheap, and with a reasonable amount of functionality and trimmings to suit that price. If it starts to get expensive then in the hobby and small business end of the market people will look for other solutions like writing their own software, or getting Mach3/EMC to do it, or just writing g-code and using some g-code interpreter etc.

So it should be reliable, simple, easy to use and inexpensive as a first release. Then there can always be an option to make a "pro" version at increased price and increased trimmings.

I'm not interested in being a Beta tester etc as I made my own software, but I wanted to say I have no intention of releasing PC PNP software in any form, either freeware, shareware or commercial.

SCSI- what's the deal with the commercial license on the vision library? Do you need to use that? It might be worth getting rid of that from the start so you have greater flexibility in features and greater profitability (or lower the price for increased sales). I was a 2D graphic programmer for a while back in the early 90's so if it's about the image recognition and decoding stuff that's really not that hard, nor is active managament of image parameters like contrast etc. Provided you can decode the vid signal to a raster image then the processing of centroid and rotation etc it not that hard to do. It's just a thought.