586,104 active members*
3,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 6 123

New CNC Router - DataCut Design

I am about to begin my 3rd router. This one is gonna be based on the plans I purchased from DataCut. Seems as though this router design has gotten a lot of interest from members, but I haven't seen anyone build one yet. Will probably just provide some general overview and pics as I go along as I don't want to ruin the plans for the original designer. This may be more of a review as I go along than anything, but I still believe there is some interest by members. I also thought that I might keep a running total as far as the money spent o the project so others can see how much it truly costs.

This really looks like a great machine and I have hopes of this being the last router I'll need to build to fit my needs. I'm sure I will be making a couple of changes as I go, but for the most part will be sticking to the plans.

I am gonna begin building the stand tomarrow and hope to have some pics up by the end of the weekend of at least that much. This is gonna be a winter project for me so please be patient as I build. This may take few months as I only have 1 or 2 days / evenings free per week. Hope to have it done by spring by the latest.

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

Good luck!
    We await your first installment of pics.

Jason

Yep, I sold my plans and designed my own....the plans look very solid....I guess I'm not just a builder, but more of a designer....so, I'm designing my own and building as I go.....working on the x and y ballscrews then I'll need to do the z-axis.

I just finished using the Data Cut plans. I took a few pictures but I will have to look for them. I don't want to take over the thread so I will give a brief over view of my experience. I am a little reluctant to post my experiences I seem to recall you have built a couple of machines already.

The plans were easy to modify with AutoCad. The only draw back I found was all the machining required. If you have or have access to a mill or cheap machine shop this will not be a problem. The plans call for precise machining for all the bearings. I eliminated this cost by getting bearing blocks I found here http://www.misumiamerica.com/SearchR...aring%20blocks . I made a template out of MDF to drill and counter sink all the holes in the table top with a plunge router. I will have to find pics for a better explanation if you want. Other than that the machine is a good solid machine.

Looking forward to following your build!
    Mark
    DMG Designs
    League City, Texas

Minor progress

I was able to get out to the shop this morning and begin work on the frame / base of the router only to realize that I did not have enough fasteners to put it all together. So right now all I have is a bunch of extrusions laying in a pile. I will order more hardware on monday and will make progress after that.

I had actually thought about and drawn a design for myself, but with the high cost of the items to be used, I didn't want to take chances. I would love to see some finished pics if you would like to post them. Fortunately I do have a mill/drill in the shop and also have access to ALOT of machining equipment at work, so the machining should not be an issue. There definitely appears to be alot of it.

Dan

Dan
    It sounds like this will be a breeze for you. I purchased the digital plans. It made customizing the plans simple. I don't have any photos of the finished machine but here are some I took before wiring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc015.jpg   cnc024.jpg   cnc026.jpg   cnc027.jpg  

Mark
    DMG Designs
    League City, Texas

Is anyone keeping track of their costs?

Nice Pics

Thanks for postiong the pics Mark. It will be an inspiration to know that this has been successfully built by someone other than the seller of the plans.

Viper,

I am gonna keep a total of my cost as I build this and post them here for all to see.

Dan

Thanks Dan

Viper- I made a LOT of mistakes making the machine so my cost would not be valid. I did not listen to everyone's advice- "Make a small machine first!" My machine has 61/2 X 33 X 53 travel and took me off and on 1yr. to build. The up side is I have a machine to fit my needs. It is just the right size to work with 1/3 of a sheet of MDF with no waste.
    Mark
    DMG Designs
    League City, Texas

Does anyone know if the DataCut plans are using a supported X axis linear shaft or is it not supported? I could not tell by the pics above. And if its supported, is it using open pillow block bearings, closed or another method? Just looking into it before I consider ordering these plans.

Thanks!

Yes it Does

The datacut router does use continuously supported rails on all 3 axis. It also uses open pillowblocks for all 3 axis.

Dan

Who has the best sources for the open pillowblock bearings? I looked on use-enco.com and they run around $70 each. And to support the Gantry on the X axis it seems you would need 2 on each side. I'm not sure what the plans call for but from others I have looked at and to support the weight... just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenW
    Who has the best sources for the open pillowblock bearings? I looked on use-enco.com and they run around $70 each. And to support the Gantry on the X axis it seems you would need 2 on each side. I'm not sure what the plans call for but from others I have looked at and to support the weight... just my thoughts.
    The Data-Cut router is going to cost $3000-$6000. If you're not prepared to spend that kind of money, than it's not the right router for you.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

More if the make the mistakes I made.
    Mark
    DMG Designs
    League City, Texas

Frame finished

Well I finally got the rest of my hardware and was able to get the frame finished. I also decided to put it on casters to be able to roll it around. It may not stay like that, but it will be nice to roll it out of the way when I am not working on it. I think when its done, I will fasten it down in the shop and level it well. I did buy locking casters so hopefully that will help.

One thing about this router base. The design gives a plan to build a tabletop frame and then a floor base with casters. To utilize the floor base, one sets the table top base on top of the floor base. What that gives you is a a stand with the verticle corner pcs in 2 sections. Not a big deal, but if I was to build it again, I would definitely build the uprights as one pc. Would make construction slightly easier and slightly cheaper.

Pics of the tabletop frame and completed unit are below.

Cost for the Extrusions, hardware and casters run about $270.00 so far. Got a good deal on some of the extrusions as I know the local dealer and was able to buy drops to save some money.

I won some 60" long thompson rails (for my X Axis) on ebay this past week so I will be having them soon. Just waiting for them to be delivered. I also need to get the aluminum for the bed soon. Doing a little shopping around as this is a kinda pricey. I'll keep everyone up to date as I progress.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM000286.JPG   IM000287.JPG   IM000288.JPG  

Got some rails

I received my x axis linear rails. The Datacut plans calls for 3/4" rails for the x axis, but I found these 1" beauties on ebay. Much cheaper than buying new and these are in great shape.

Rail costs 340.00 total so far $610.00
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM000293.JPG   IM000294.JPG  

Some Machining done.

Got out to the shop this morning and got some aluminum machined for the rails. 1" Mic 6. Thick hunk of aluminum but that is what is called out for by the plans.

I still have some holes to drill, but the holes to fit the bearings are done. It sure is nice to have a mill to accurately drill holes. I've got a 14" floor mount drill press, but I haven't used it much since I got the mill.

Aluminum cost 22.00 Total so far $632.00
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM000295.JPG   IM000296.JPG  

Hack,

What are you using to mill your parts? I'm getting ready to start on my Data-Cut machine and not sure on how I should mill my parts.

Todd

My mill

I am using a mill / drill (RF-31 Clone) works ok. Anything that is to big for that, I take to work and let them do it on the BIG BOYS.... Luckily I haven't had to do that yet as the mill drill has been sufficient so far.

Dan

Hey Fella's, This is Chris from Data-Cut stopping by..... There are so many newsgroups and discussion forums that it gets darn near impossible to visit them all, so I get here seldom !

I must say that the photos shown so far indicate that you are on the right track ! Keep up the good work, and you will never be sorry you started such a project ! The DC machine truly is a great machine to own and use if you do not compromise its integrity.

I noticed that someone asked how the parts were being machined.....
    I would like to point out that quite a few parts rely heavily on the thickness of the material to dictate accuracy rather than the profile or outer shape. This utilizes the already prespec'd accuracy of Cast tooling Plate, and, the outer profiles can be simply bandsawed and sanded to shape !

Of course this does not apply to all parts, and some do require enhanced attention. Yet, I have heard some interesting stories ! One fellow told me he machined the pockets for his leadscrew bearings by using an off the shelf wood paddle bit ground to proper size on his metal lathe, and then with a slow speed drill press and some WD-40, "drilled" the necessary pockets !

Others have made templates out of plastic or thinner metals and then used their wood plunge router to do the job. So, with a little inginuety, itis amazing what can be accomplished.

I wanted to mention that it is true that little seems to be said in the newsgroups about the Data-Cut machine. Turns out that most of my Plan buyers have been individuals who do not, or seldom visit any of the newsgroups that we as builders are familiar with. I spend a good deal of time with support via email, but primarily in regards to how the control and electronics come together.

I can tell you that I have received photos over the years ( this machine was introduced in June of 1999 !) of evidence that the machine has indeed been built, and in fact, I have visited two machines personally that are within 100 miles of me here in Wisconsin.

I KNOW that my Website sure could be a lot better, but I rather dislike Html coding compared to G &M Keep building and have fun !

Chris
    Chris L

Page 1 of 6 123