586,238 active members*
3,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: New here

New here

Hi there,

My first post here, but have been lurking around for a little while and have found a wealth of information in these forums.

Have had a HM-32 (G0705 equivalent) milling machine for quite a numbers years, and it's served me very well. Anyway I've just taken the plunge and converted it to CNC with the "CNC Masters Jr" kit, I've not used it in anger yet, but the conversion was relatively easy to do, and all works very well so far.

Reason for my post is to ask if anyone has done a similar conversion and what their experiences where ??

And, I'm now looking for a CAD/CAM program, can anyone offer any suggestions on software for someone very new to CNC and G coding. Have been looking at the "KipWareM" product, but open to any other suggestions.. ??

Cheers
    Os

Os,
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the board.
    I haven't used the same conversion as you, but will relate to the cad/cam part.
    I use Draftsight (freeware)
    http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsig...-cad-software/

as the cad part and for cam I use Sheetcam.
    SheetCam homepage
    So far I have not needed and true 3D stuff so this works very well especially for the cost. While Sheetcam is not free, the help and service from Les Newell is fantastic.

Whatever you do, enjoy.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome and the links Bubba,
    Looks like those applications are what I'm after at this stage...

Cheers
    Os