586,094 active members*
4,177 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Gerber to G-Code

Hello Dear All,

I am looking for a software to convert my gerber files to g-code files. I am currently using CopperCam however, it can't use multi core CPUs efficiently thus it requires very long time for the conversion. Therefore, I am looking for an alternative/better software. Some people on this forum wrote that, Eagle has an add-in called pcb-gcode, I know about it but my board layouts drawn by another cad software. Any suggestion for me?

Cheers,
    msyayan

Quote Originally Posted by msyayan View Post
    Hello Dear All,

I am looking for a software to convert my gerber files to g-code files. I am currently using CopperCam however, it can't use multi core CPUs efficiently thus it requires very long time for the conversion. Therefore, I am looking for an alternative/better software. Some people on this forum wrote that, Eagle has an add-in called pcb-gcode, I know about it but my board layouts drawn by another cad software. Any suggestion for me?

Cheers,
    msyayan
    Latest beta of CncUsbController, from CNC USB controller can import correctly gerber files for PCBs. I have tested the feature only once, but seemed to work ok.

there may me some other alternatives, but you should dig for them

Dear eSilviu,

Thank you for the reply.
    I have just tried that tool. It can open drill files and generate gcode, however, it can't open top copper and bottom copper gerber files. It loads a gerber file in a few seconds and then it just draw outline of the board. Would you please help me about the subject?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by msyayan View Post
    Dear eSilviu,

Thank you for the reply.
    I have just tried that tool. It can open drill files and generate gcode, however, it can't open top copper and bottom copper gerber files. It loads a gerber file in a few seconds and then it just draw outline of the board. Would you please help me about the subject?

Thanks,
    use the settings as in attached image:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gerber_import.PNG  

It is ABSOLUTELY faster and looks perfect. I will try the g-code files as soon as possible. Thank you very much!

Isolation is perfect.
    However, as I understand, it is not able to hatch and center double sided PCBs. Maybe, they will put these things to its new version, we will see.
    Anyway, thank you for that useful software!

I can do double sided without problems.
    What are your problems?

I use camera and "Transformation Matrix" to do other side.
    Here is older video of this feature but I plan to do new one.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJnenOsbCzU]CNC USB Controller Mk2 - Drilling PCB using transformation matrix and camera sensor - YouTube[/ame]

Best regards
    Andrej
    CNC USB controller - http://www.planet-cnc.com

Dear Kroko,

Actually I am new at all of these and I didn't know that feature. It is cool!
    My machine is from China and I control it via Ncstudio. As I understand, I have to buy one of your controller card or do it as written in your DIY page, bypass my machine's controller card by yours and connect it to my pc, to be able to use your software, right?

By the way, what about hatching?

Thanks,

You're correct - this works only if you upgrade your machine witk Mk2 board.

I fount this topic about hatching. Hatching seems to be useless when PCB is milled.
    pcb - Solid ground-plane vs Hatched ground-plane - Electrical Engineering - Stack Exchange
    CNC USB controller - http://www.planet-cnc.com

Thank you very much for the information.
    Yes, ground plane is a nice point. Moreover, hatching requires additional machining time but I need to do it sometimes. Anyway, thanks for the information.