586,032 active members*
2,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

M3 and M5 codes having no effect

Greetings everyone, I am new here, but have utilized this site for info many times, but Im really stuck here- so I registered! First a little bakcground.

I am very new to CNC as a whole, I have a background in graphic design, but have been tossed into the mix for our company as the designer and machinist all in one. Over the last couple of years I have gotten pretty good at drawing parts and cutting out on the router in 2d. We also have a Laser machine that we are trying to get up and running.

The table is a Techno 4896, the laser is a Synrad Firestar F100, and we use Bobad CAM to do the drawing. A guy named "Kevin" built the laser controller and cooler form scratch. My kingdom if i could get in touch with him!

Anyway, I have been fighting this machine for months, and every time I solve one problem another pops up. I have it to the point now that the laser fires, and I can run a program, but the laser runs continously and the m3 and m5 codes seem to have no effect.
    The key to turn the laser on has 2 settings, the first will power the gantry and the gas assisst, and the other turns the coolant on and fires the laser. Once its on, its stays that way, which of course is the problem. Are there other codes to start adn stop a laser? (Im prettys sure m3 and m5 are ok, thats what code was used in the older programs we had on file for the laser) Does it sound like the key is acting right? Should it fire right off the bat like that?
    Boss seems to think its a ground issue somewhere, any one know where I could start?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick
    JB Plastics

Hi Pat,

What software are you using to run the laser with GCode ??

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

I think it would also be helpful to provide details on the laser controller built by "Kevin". And some pics of this controller.