586,075 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Y-Axis motor on Tormach 770 just keeps whining when activated!

Unhappy Y-Axis motor on Tormach 770 just keeps whining when activated!

My y axis motor just whines when it is activated. I thought it was the coupler so they sent me another one, I thought I was going to be okay. Started it up and it worked for a second then it whined again! I took off the coupler and motor and re-tightened it and it happen again. I thought I was not bearing down enough but that was not the case. I decided to hold the motor in one hand and the coupler in the other. When I would apply power I thought it might rip my hand off so I started it slow. guess what? The coupler did not turn nor the shaft of the motor. The motor just whined in my hand. no shaft movement no coupler movement, no torque whatsoever... Anyone know what to do here? I was just about to start a job all is ready but my machine...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG1349.jpg  

My guess is your not getting one of the two phases from the driver to the motor. If you have a multimeter and can read the manuals schematic. Measure the ohms for each of the motors windings at the driver. Maybe measure the X axis first to see a good reading. If the ohms are similar (they won't be exactally the same) try swapping the Y axis 'driver to motor' wires to the X axis. This will tell you if the driver failed.
    Be sure to do this when the main switch off. And beware the large capacitor near the drives can hold a charge for some time.
    Tormach PCNC1100, Mach 3 R3.043.037, MastercamX5 level 3.

You know, I have been getting some power because when I hit the switch the shaft turns, it is when I grab it with my hand to hold the shaft/coupler thus applying torque by holding it, I am able to stop it cold in it's tracks and then it just whines until I turn it lose.

From my telling you that, you can see why when it is connected to the coupler into the table it will by no means turn it...

Did you try your tests yet...

No...it's not my machine that's broken.
    Tormach PCNC1100, Mach 3 R3.043.037, MastercamX5 level 3.

Typo.... I meant I did not try your test yet....

Sounds like the shaft has released from the laminations.

bob

My 1100 is doing something similar. Upon startup, the Y-drive motor whines. Operating the axis yields a shuddering motion, but still motion (milling some thinwall cast aluminum). Swapping drives (X for Y) stops the issue on the Y-drive. Swapped Y motor for Z motor, and the whining followed the drive. That tears it as the drive issue.

I'm going to contact Tormach Monday about a bad Y axis driver.

Hope my pain helps your resolution.

Cheers/Happy Holidays.

I know its frustrating... How long have you had your 1100? Let me know how the new drive works out...

Quote Originally Posted by psknauer View Post
    My 1100 is doing something similar. Upon startup, the Y-drive motor whines. Operating the axis yields a shuddering motion, but still motion (milling some thinwall cast aluminum). Swapping drives (X for Y) stops the issue on the Y-drive. Swapped Y motor for Z motor, and the whining followed the drive. That tears it as the drive issue.

I'm going to contact Tormach Monday about a bad Y axis driver.

Hope my pain helps your resolution.

Cheers/Happy Holidays.

They responded to my request early this morning; the replacement is on its way along with a replacement Z-axis home switch that seems to have self-destructed.

This just reminds me why I obsessed over Tormach, Syil, and Novakon, but spent a little more for the 1100. Had it since May of this year, haven't really stressed it, but the work I've done has been a breeze.

I am happy I went with Tormach. I hear the horror stories of waiting days or even weeks to even get a response from other companies. With Tormach, I talk to someone within minutes. You can get a part sent out within hours and receive it within a few days...

Quote Originally Posted by psknauer View Post
    They responded to my request early this morning; the replacement is on its way along with a replacement Z-axis home switch that seems to have self-destructed.

This just reminds me why I obsessed over Tormach, Syil, and Novakon, but spent a little more for the 1100. Had it since May of this year, haven't really stressed it, but the work I've done has been a breeze.

same but in the X

had the same but in the X
    it made a clicking sound and didn't move
    call Tormach got help and took the motor off and the cable garud
    two wire had shorted out
    i resoidered the wire and she back up and runnig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0331.jpg   IMG_0330.jpg