586,599 active members*
3,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > HELP, mach throws up random ESTOP mid program. Gecko G540

HELP, mach throws up random ESTOP mid program. Gecko G540

Newly built machine running gecko G540. Got all the motors running and tuned in etc. When I run a program or sometimes when jogging around it throws up an external estop, it doesnt happen in the same place. Happens almost immediately most of the time. I have tried:

swapping the axis over
    disabling the limits
    removing all the motors from the gecko (still does it when running through a program)
    messed with the debounce upto 10000
    checked all the wiring and connections
    disconnected the spindle so it cant be that

All the motors are grounded, shielded, have resistors on.

Any suggestions on what this could be? I have been troubleshooting it for hours and hours with no joy. Could it be a faulty gecko?

Quote Originally Posted by dougie329 View Post
    Newly built machine running gecko G540. Got all the motors running and tuned in etc. When I run a program or sometimes when jogging around it throws up an external estop, it doesnt happen in the same place. Happens almost immediately most of the time. I have tried:

swapping the axis over
    disabling the limits
    removing all the motors from the gecko (still does it when running through a program)
    messed with the debounce upto 10000
    checked all the wiring and connections
    disconnected the spindle so it cant be that

All the motors are grounded, shielded, have resistors on.

Any suggestions on what this could be? I have been troubleshooting it for hours and hours with no joy. Could it be a faulty gecko?
    You didn't mention how the estop is wired? active high? active low? emulated ? which pin no etc. It is possible that a bad estop switch is being triigerred due to vibrations (if wired in active low)

jasminder singh
    It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.

I dosconnected the estops completely by using a jumper wire between pins 10 and 12 on the gecko. It still came up with an imaginary e-stop. The limits are disconnected also so cant be either of these causing the problem.

Just been playing with it a bit more and the strangest thing is happening.

If I plug the X and Z cables into the gecko, (setup as before with estops and limits disabled) I get a green light and can move them about. If I plug Y and A in (slaved axis) then it goes to red light and wont run. However if I plug just the Y in then it works and likewise if I plug just the A in it works but not together. I have unslaved them in the software but when they are both plugged in the gecko wont run!!