586,075 active members*
3,749 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Solved jerkiness problem

I've had some problems with my edges coming out bumpy and not so straight. I could see the machine jerking as it moved, especially in the Y axis. I had to solve it.

It had been suggested many times that the cold rolled steel rails were the problem and I thought I had it solved by smoothing some problem areas. It helped a little but not enough. It was finally time to try some things to fix this issue.

I got lucky and my other two rails are pretty smooth. I had filed the top of the right gantry rail flat but it was time to check the bottom. I shined a flashlight along it and saw what looked like the Himalayas. Lots of peaks and valleys. Definitely not as smooth as I thought. I pulled the screws that hold it in place and slid it out of the machine. I then chucked it up in my hand mill and took just enough off to get a nice smooth roller surface. I then dressed the edges with a file. and reinstalled. The gantry now ran much smoother but when I moved the machine under power, some of the jerkiness was still there.

On to the belt tightness. I thought that maybe the belt was too tight and causing cogging as the pulley turned on the gear or roller bearings. I loosened it and that made it worse. Tightening it back up made it better but I was back where I started after the rail smoothing. Something else was wrong. With no belt on the gantry, it was very smooth moving. It would roll without stopping. I then checked my bearings and found the bottom two on the right side of the gantry were a little loose. Could it be racking and causing binding? I tested it by pressing down on the gantry as I ran it forward and back. Much smoother. I tightened up the bearing to rack clearance and it runs pretty darn smooth now. I ran a test piece and I now have almost perfectly smooth edges. Problem solved!

So, in summary, don't buy cheap rail stock, This link has been posted in my thread and one other:

O-1 Tool Steel - Oil Hardening on Amtek Tool & Supply, Inc.

Don't bother with the cheap stuff, get ground flat stock and be done with it. Also make sure your bearings are tight to the rails.

Since I work mostly with carbon fiber, I also clean the rails after every run so that carbon dust doesn't build up in those area.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyDad View Post
    So, in summary, don't buy cheap rail stock, This link has been posted in my thread and one other:

O-1 Tool Steel - Oil Hardening on Amtek Tool & Supply, Inc.

Don't bother with the cheap stuff, get ground flat stock and be done with it. Also make sure your bearings are tight to the rails.

Since I work mostly with carbon fiber, I also clean the rails after every run so that carbon dust doesn't build up in those area.
    It also helps to put grease on the rails where the bearings ride. I use ordinary automotive wheel bearing grease. It probably sounds counter intuitive regarding dust and other swarf but I find that the rails don't load up at all. The grease seems to provide a vehicle for the debris to get pushed out to the edges of the rollers.

Chris