586,069 active members*
3,410 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > What's the best way to go about learning MC X4?

What's the best way to go about learning MC X4?

Hello to all:

I'm excited; I now have access to someone's seat of MasterCam X4 and the use of his small 5 axis mill. I want to start machining small wooden toys/blocks. What is the best way to go about learning this particular release of MasterCAM?

I have the software design side of things covered; I am an AuotCad expert, and some of my designs (in Solidworks) are very complex, and I'm pretty sure could not be done on a 3 axis machine; I'd have to keep removing my material from the bed, re-positioning, etc....The machine I have access to is a 3 axis design with a trunnion table/rotary table mounted on the bed. I've seen someone cut small, intricate wooden jewelry boxes on a Taig mill (he uses free-open source software with very poor documentation/high learning curve), so I know it is physically possible...I myself just need to learn MasterCAM now.

I have seen several books for sale on eBay, etc...is there any one book that I should definitely start with?

That I am, considering I thought I was in the Haas section.
    what does having to do with the Haas section have to with this. Just wondering here Delw that was a little off the wall for you. I have cut allot of wood on Haas from 3axis to 5 axis from metal to foam to wood. with the wood, plastics and foam there is allot of cleaning and I suggest if you are cutting dry that you cover the bottom of the machine to keep dust out of the coolant tanks.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    what does having to do with the Haas section have to with this. Just wondering here Delw that was a little off the wall for you. I have cut allot of wood on Haas from 3axis to 5 axis from metal to foam to wood. with the wood, plastics and foam there is allot of cleaning and I suggest if you are cutting dry that you cover the bottom of the machine to keep dust out of the coolant tanks.
    that someone would let someone borrow a 160K piece of equipment to learn something with and play with and let them cut wood.

yes you can cut wood people do it all the time with good machines but they generally dont let people borrow there machines to play with new them software.

usually when I see "MASTERCAM" "BORROWED SEAT" "5 axis" and "need books"
    it means 1 thing Pirated software. Not always but 99% always
    then with the reply producing a link of a $200 machine well its a guarenteed NON Legit COPY. his buddy didnt spend 10+k on software to run a $200 piece of equipment.
    yes it was off the wall for me.

Delw

Thumbs up down with delw.

Check Amazon! They have awesome material for cheap!!!

Delw-

With all the people doing drugs these days, and the world the way it is, one would think you would support a guy trying to get by and teach HIMSELF how to use a 5 axis CNC machine regardless of how he obtained the material, the cost of his machinery, let alone what type of material he plans on milling. Get off your high horse and help someone who actually is trying to do something with his life out. Many people on this forum i'm sure are using some form of pirated software which i (OR cnczone) do not endorse doing by any means, but who are you to police the forum, and call people out with no proof. The guy provided a legitimate link to a small company that looked like it had a few 5 axis machines.

Tisk Tisk.. Your comments represent this entire forum which you are making looking bad.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Check Amazon! They have awesome material for cheap!!!

Delw-

With all the people doing drugs these days, and the world the way it is, one would think you would support a guy trying to get by and teach HIMSELF how to use a 5 axis CNC machine regardless of how he obtained the material, the cost of his machinery, let alone what type of material he plans on milling. Get off your high horse and help someone who actually is trying to do something with his life out. Many people on this forum i'm sure are using some form of pirated software which i (OR cnczone) do not endorse doing by any means, but who are you to police the forum, and call people out with no proof. The guy provided a legitimate link to a small company that looked like it had a few 5 axis machines.

Tisk Tisk.. Your comments represent this entire forum which you are making looking bad.
    Actually I did help him answered his question told him hat books to buy too.

I will start adding this to my post will that help?
    Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management nor meant to make the the entire forum look bad.

Hows that.
    Delw

Beyond all of the cynics - the best way is to be shown by someone who knows how to use it.
    Does your "pal" have experience with the basics? Have him show you how to; select the machine, define the material, and show you how to make chains - to begin with.
    The eMastercam website has an abundance of solutions and a general forum as well.

It's not too similar to Solidworks nor Autocad however, after you've figured how the whole "chain" and "toolpath" manipulation works, you're gold.

g'luck!