Login

Unhappy I Cant Get my motors to turn

Hi All
    I have set up my control box and wired everything up, All appears to
    be working correctly as I have the motor humming away waiting for an
    input signal, the error light on the G320 goes out after a couple of
    seconds.
    In the G320 instructions it says that to check the motors you have to
    use a pulse source can mach3 be used for this.
    I have set up the Mach3 according to Arts instructions on the video and
    nothing is happening not even if I use the arrow keys or run a program.
    Everything appears to be wired up correctly to the servos.
    Is it possible that the parallel interface board is faulty and is
    there any checks that can be carried out.
    The board is from CNC4PC
    Jim

Jim;
    I just had a helluv a time with my new control system. My servos were locking up but they would not spin with Mach3 active. I found my 5V power source to be the problem. I didn't want to add the extra wire from the computer source so I installed a serparate 5V power supply for the geckos. Well, it didn't work. I also thought I had a parallel port problem with the step and direction signal but it turned out to be the 5V. In my case, the only way to make it work was by tapping the 5V out of the control computer power supply. I'm going to use a game port pin for my final assembly and run a second cable.
    Hope this helps. Keep trying, it'll work. The geckos are great controllers and coupled with Mach2 or 3, heck, can't go wrong!
    If this doesn't help, post your schematic! There is a bunch of talent here to help out.
    billyjack
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Sorry but meant to mention this also! I also have the cnc4pc parallel board and it would not work until I removed the jumper on the board. I didn't get a schematic for the thing, in fact, I'd love to have one and see what the thing is designe for. So, be sure and remove the jumper.
    Sorry.
    Me
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

You might need to give more information, even though it's a pain. In particular:

CNC4PC sells two different interface boards. Which model do you have?
    If there are jumpers on the board, how are they set?
    For every screw connector on the board that has a wire going into it, tell us the name of the connector and where the wire goes, and be specific. Don't say "hooked up to a power supply"... say "Hooked up to the +5v output from my Blastomatic Power supply". Don't say "hooked up to the gecko..." say which exact connecion on the gecko it is connected to.

Then give all that same information for the gecko itself. What exactly is connected to each terminal?

Also tell us what power supply you are using for the gecko, how you are powering the CNC4PC board, and what if any test equipment you have (e.g. a voltmeter).

Finally, tell us how you have Mach3 configured: which parallel port address you are using (and if that is correct for your computer), and which output pins you have enabled in Mach3 for the step and direction outputs to the motor you want to test.

I'm sure it will work out eventually!